hi peeps,
I've recently upgraded to 11.04 and am using the Unity desktop. this is on my Dell 1537 laptop which has been running Ubuntu happily for several years.

in 10.10 I was able to connect up my Panasonic TV (TX-P42X10B) with an HDMI cable and use the Monitor Preferences panel to set up which screen / resolution to use.

now with 11.04, when I plug in the HDMI cable, the screen recycles as before whhen it detects the new connected TV, but when the screen comes back all the desktop buttons/windows/menus/etc no longer work; the mouse is still active but it cannot do anything other than move about.

if it helps, the first time I connected the desktop displayed on the TV, but in the wrong resolution.

also, if I hit Fn+F8 the desktop appears on both screens ok, but there is no option in the Monitor Preferences panel to adjust the TV resolution - in fact it does not look like it is detected.

lspci returns:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx Series]
can anyone help? what's different in 11.04?

thanks!