Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

I am trying to compile WINE from a tarball and getting the following error:

I would very much appreciate any help with this, but PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND WITH "What are you trying to install and why are you not using the repositories ?" I have seen this many times in various forums and it is very rude and non-helpful. But since that seems to be the standard "help" someone with this problem gets, here is the answer:

I am trying to install a specific version of wine BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKS FOR A CERTAIN PROGRAM I WANT TO USE. I had installed it from the repositories in the first place and it automatically updated without my permission, much to my horror (envision recurring Microsoft nightmares).

I need version 1.3.26 and it updated to 1.3.28. Now if I try to install with apt-get I will get the 1.3.28 version which doesn't work for my program. I tried it. I tried different versions of the program...no dice.

I can't seem to change directories in terminal. It appears to be changing directories, but in the end it hasn't. I tried changing directories to the folder where I had the tarball and tried to unpack it using:

tar -xvf wine-1.3.26.tar.bz2

I got an error that the file didn't exist. It wouldn't do anything until I typed in the path where the file was stored:

tar -xvf /usr/local/src wine-1.3.26.tar.bz2

That seemed to unpack it, but I have no idea where it went. It is not in /usr/local/src.

When I type in ./configure I get the error:

So I went to the directory, right-clicked and selected "Extract here." This resulted in a locked file I could not use. Then I tried the same thing after opening with 'gksudo nautilus' and making sure the permissions would allow me to use it, and that the configure file was there. But when I typed in ./configure I STILL got the error:

I can't figure out how to give the path and the command by command line so it will work.

I have installed build-essential and a bunch of other things that are supposed to allow compiling from source and nothing has made a difference. Apparently everything is the current version. I have checked this error on this and several other forums and haven't found an actual solution.

I don't get why it is suddenly so hard to install from a tarball. It wasn't this hard before. Has there been some drastic change in the way things are installed since 10.04 (I'm now on 10.10)?
    Last edited by Luxx; September 24th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.

Beans

Re: bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

Code:
    /usr/local/src/configure
    Last edited by TeoBigusGeekus; September 24th, 2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: locar

Beans
    Hidden!

Then don't untar it into /usr/local/src, untar it to ~/src or something (you'll obviously gonna have to create the directory. Or first copy it to /usr/local/src, cd to /usr/local/src untar it there, cd to the untared directory and then run configure. If you run configure in just any directory, it's not gonna work, that's why you're getting the "no such file" error.

Btw, you're usually not gonna get good responses by starting your thread with "don't tell me this and that".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    Then don't untar it into /usr/local/src, untar it to ~/src or something (you'll obviously gonna have to create the directory. Or first copy it to /usr/local/src, cd to /usr/local/src untar it there, cd to the untared directory and then run configure. If you run configure in just any directory, it's not gonna work, that's why you're getting the "no such file" error.

Btw, you're usually not gonna get good responses by starting your thread with "don't tell me this and that".
    Yeah, I know. I can't cd to the directory. When I change the directory in the terminal I get only the default directory. I still don't get why that is happening. I think that might be what the problem is for other users who have been asking the same question about this error.

....And yeah, I normally wouldn't start a thread that way, but given the fact that there were quite a few threads started all over the internet that got NOTHING but "why aren't you using repos" I figured I would probably get the same thing if I didn't specifically ask people to not do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    Code:
    /usr/local/src/configure
    Again:
    bash: /usr/local/src/configure: No such file or directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

have you tried

Code:
    cd /usr/local/src/wine-1.3.26
    ./configure
    it would be best to use <TAB> completion to make sure their are no spelling errors
    The best things in life are free

Beans

^^^^ This.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The reason we ask "why aren't you using the repositories?" is because almost always the users that post here saying that they can't compile something have no idea what they're doing. They've seen instructions on the process of compiling and assume that that's what they have to do. It never occurs to them that there might be better solutions to their problem.

So why don't you simply use Synaptic to force and lock your version of the Wine package to the one runway you want to use?
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
    Yeah, I know. I can't cd to the directory. When I change the directory in the terminal I get only the default directory. I still don't get why that is happening. I think that might be what the problem is for other users who have been asking the same question about this error.
    I've never heard of anyone having that error, 8nless you're trying to cd to a directory that doesn't exist. But, just in case, download the tarball, extract it to somewhere in your home directory, and run configure there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had some kind of permissions problem, which fixed after some updates I had been ignoring. All is good now. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast