Thread: DOS Installation to a USB Drive

Beans

DOS Installation to a USB Drive

A few years ago, before I converted to Linux, I was using an old computer that an office suite called New Deal Office. It was designed for old computers like those that used the original Pentium processor and DOS ... in my case, Caldera DR-DOS.

Even though I am fully committed to using Linux, I am interested in using the files I created using New Deal Office. I am trying to see if I can install such software on an old Seagate hard drive I converted to USB 2.0 by way of a VanTec NexStar3 NST-360U2-BK Hard Drive Enclosure.

Even though I'm working on an idea of my own, I am interested in information about how to use Ubuntu to install DOS software on a USB drive.

Beans

Re: DOS Installation to a USB Drive

Quote Originally Posted by and003 View Post
    A few years ago, before I converted to Linux, I was using an old computer that an office suite called New Deal Office. It was designed for old computers like those that used the original Pentium processor and DOS ... in my case, Caldera DR-DOS.

Even though I am fully committed to using Linux, I am interested in using the files I created using New Deal Office. I am trying to see if I can install such software on an old Seagate hard drive I converted to USB 2.0 by way of a VanTec NexStar3 NST-360U2-BK Hard Drive Enclosure.

Even though I'm working on an idea of my own, I am interested in information about how to use Ubuntu to install DOS software on a USB drive.
    You could use virtualbox to setup a DOS virtual machine ?

There are also a few emulators out there, DOSEmu is one, DOSBox etc

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

http://www.dosemu.org/ (out of date)
    Last edited by haqking; September 24th, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Additionaly to haqking's suggestions you can also try FreeDOS.

Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Additionaly to haqking's suggestions you can also try FreeDOS.

Regards.
    isnt FreeDos like any other DOS, its not for running DOS software within linux ? it is not a emulator, requires a VM or own Partition right ?
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

I found something that enabled me to address one part of my plan. There's this guy named Bob Rankin, who has a web site dedicated to Linux and anything associated with it. Part of his site concerns the ability of Linux to handle DOS programs.

Basically, the solution he formulated enabled me to mount the DOS partition on my USB-converted Seagate drive as I would if a DOS partition was on a regular hard drive.

His solution is detailed here:
    http://lowfatlinux.com/linux-dos-partition.html

Now I need to find a way to install DOS software on to my USB drive's partition. I tried using DOSemu but as yet have been unable to make it work properly, i.e. unable to use DOSemu to install software on a USB drive. For some reason, DOSemu keeps asking for an installation disk even though the installation disk is already in the drive.
    Last edited by and003; September 30th, 2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Beans

I used FreeDOS and it works for me. I wish to thank everyone, papibe in particular, for their suggestions.