Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Card BCM4313 Not Working

Beans

Re: Wireless Card BCM4313 Not Working

No, my wireless is still not working. My attempts, and symptoms, are similar to the others who posted. None of the suggestions so far seems to be effective, in particular reinstalling bcmlw-kernel-source had no effect. I have not yet tried to obtain the driver for maverick.

Beans

Also, sudo modprobe was not effective. I do not have a live CD to use. Before I try that, let me ask - if it does work there, what would that suggest that I need to get it working from my hard drive?

BTW, although I'm not sure of the proper protocol, I certainly have no objection to others with the same problem joining this thread; I'm sure that if a solution is ultimately determined, it would be good to have it centralized in one thread. (Which I suppose is the purpose of the "sticky" thread, but the solutions mentioned there aren't working for me and this weeks push which seems to have broken things is a new factor.)

Beans

I'll cross-post back here if I get a good solution on the thread I started. (I think we're in a nearly identical position.) -Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nickfank View Post
    Sorry about the "highjack" I'm new to the forum and thought I should join in here. Will start a new thread now that I know the etiquette. Thanks for the correction.

Sheepishly,
    -Nick
    That is OK nickfank it takes a bit to get used to forum, start your own threads and when
    you see something close to your problem read that thread for help also.
    Welcome to the Forums Nick and enjoy your Ubuntu and feel welcome here.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:
    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
    Main Page -

Beans
    Distro

List these so other Network users can see so as to know what they are working with.
    Code:
    lscpi -k
    Code:
    rfkill list
    Do not give up it is broadcom and they will work in ubuntu they are a previlent card in a lot
    of machines, Dells use them often. If not driver could be a switch or hard blocked or softblocked. Post info you will get help. Broadcom is usually so simple
    am sorry you are not running as of yet.
    Main Page -

Beans
    Distro

BTW, although I'm not sure of the proper protocol, I certainly have no objection to others with the same problem joining this thread; I'm sure that if a solution is ultimately determined, it would be good to have it centralized in one thread. (Which I suppose is the purpose of the "sticky" thread, but the solutions mentioned there aren't working for me and this weeks push which seems to have broken things is a new factor.)
    When you get your thread solved you will mark it as Solved in Thread tools in upper
    right of page and others will see your title and Solved and use it. There are also things called spiders
    crawling around in here and when you google search your thread will pop up. Look at home page
    of Ubuntu forums says 663 members 5000 guests and 63 spiders. People all over the World get to
    see your fix and this is about the biggest Linux Forum there is. You can post on another distro and wait
    2 days for first reply. Search engines need info so they have spiders crawling around the web.
    #It is hard for users to try to follow two and three or more users in one thread so it is better if everyone has
    their own thread. Plus you do want the thread to be about your specific problem so others searching may
    benifit from. Rick

## Was kind of you to worry about the others though, a Ubuntu users quality.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; September 23rd, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Main Page -

Beans

Here is the response from "lspci -k":

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 18)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 0456
    Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 06)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev 06)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a6)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel modules: iTCO_wdt
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
    Kernel modules: i2c-i801
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)
    Kernel driver in use: intel ips
    Kernel modules: intel_ips
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 0010
    Kernel driver in use: wl
    Kernel modules: wl, brcm80211
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    Kernel driver in use: atl1c
    Kernel modules: atl1c
    ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 8086
    ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 05)
    ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 05)
    ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 05)
    ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 05)
    ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 05)

Beans

Here is the output from "rfkill list":

0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
    1: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
    2: hci0: Bluetooth
    3: brcmwl-0: Wireless LAN
    4: phy0: Wireless LAN

Beans

Just noticed that the forum changed some of the text in the output from lspci to smileys. In both cases, the relevant text actually reads "(rev 18)"

Beans

Hmm, it changed it even though "preview" showed it as text. It should be:
    Left parenthesis, followed by rev 18, followed by right parenthesis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast