Thread: swapping hdd

Beans

swapping hdd

What happens when I swap the position of sda and sdb?

How does grub2 locate the hdd drives? By way of UUID or through its position in the bios?

For instance, suppose I install Natty on sda (first HDD) and later want to install W7 on sdb. On installing W7 the installation software looks at the bios and wants to install the OS on sda (physically the first HDD).
    If I swap the two hdd physically will sda (the drive with a unique ID) now become sdb under Natty or remain as sda. Will grub look for the UUID and not sda/sdb?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: swapping hdd

Grub2 searches by uuid. The drive letter is determined by the bios. So it depends on the bios but often the drive that is set to boot first is sda but sometimes the letters depend on SATA port. Because the drive letter is unreliable it is recommended to use uuid in fstab too.
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans

Re: swapping hdd

OK so UUID is the main criterion when looking for the boot drive.
    That makes sense since I now installed Windows on the second hard disk simply by initially swapping the two drives, setting up Windows, which sees that disk as the first one in bios, and after installation swapping them again.
    Grup was updated and presto Windows loads perfectly, just using the word perfect with Windows loosely

During the update of windows - why does it have to log-out and -in forcing you to stay at your computer? - I just put Windows at the top in Grub.