Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Unity panel always displayed on top of fullscreen windows

Hi! all.
    I posted, P #10:
    Edit: I have just logged out & in to check that both Unity and Gnome Classic in 11.10 behave the same way. It is limited to an Ubuntu log-in, in Gnome Classic, it does not occur and grahammechanical's description applies.
    As a further check I logged-in to Ubuntu 2d, and Unity 2D does the same FullScreen trick of hiding the top line behind the title bar.
    BTW File Manager Windows also behave in the same way, when Clicked to FullScreen.

With Gnome Classic, the top bar is a 'normal' Gnome Panel, that can be edited or removed with the Alt+Right-Click drop-down menu, or easily have Icons added, which the Unity top bar can not.

Perhaps this is to do with the Global Menu, which Gnome Classic does not have.

Personally I am not bothered by this, as my Mouse works as I would expect.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It occurs to me that your thread title is a little misleading. This is not a problem with maximized windows. Is it? It is a problem with playing video in full screen mode. Is it not?
    The thread title is the best I could do.
    I was expecting communcation difficulty when I started the thread.

It is not a problem with maximized windows.
    It is not a problem with the windows.
    It is not a problem with watching videos.

It is a problem with the panel along the top edge of the screen, which should not (in my opinion) be visible while an application is in full-screen. This is affecting applications of all kinds: media players, games, web browsers, etc...

Furthermore, if the panel is going to be visible anyway, it should at least be usable but it is not.
    While the panel can be seen at all times, when displayed on top of a full-screen window it cannot be clicked.

I know this confusing.

By full-screen I do not mean "maximized".
    Maxmized windows are still windows and have a titlebar with close, minimize, and restore buttons.

Full-screen means occupying 100% of screen space.

With Unity, there is always a panel at the top, even when an applicatio should be completely covering the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhollows View Post
    THeres no settings anywhere in unity. No right click -> hide on icons, no drag to move... I dont get it. I can't find the settings for anything.
    Because they are in Compiz. You need to install compizconfig-settings-manager (ccsm). There are only a few configurable items.
    But i'm sure it will be ironed out..
    Never lose that faith.
    Your issue sounds pretty drastic and I would suggest unique. I doubt the release would have gone out with a ghost panel stuck over the top of full windows. If I am understanding correctly.
    It isn't unique. Everyone using unity should be experiencing this.

The release indeed went out "with a ghost panel stuck over the top of full[-screen] windows". I've seen this in three differet installs of Ubuntu on two differen computers.
    Last edited by quequotion; February 13th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

It sounds like possibly a specific video card, chip or driver issue. Things like full screen flash video should really go full screen. But for some reason something is not layering properly and your inactive top bar remains visible.

What video card or chip do you have, and which driver.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    It sounds like possibly a specific video card, chip or driver issue. Things like full screen flash video should really go full screen. But for some reason something is not layering properly and your inactive top bar remains visible.

What video card or chip do you have, and which driver.
    I honestly don't think so.

Can you provide a screenshot of anything in full-screen (not maximized) with no panel at the top? (I should not be able to see the application name or menu nor the indicator icons, the clock, or the user and system menus)

Desktop: nVidia GT 220, using the proprietary drivers.

Laptop: Intel 315M (or something like that)

I have tried several versions of the nvidia driver and always had this issue.

I have tried the nouveu driver as well and had the same issue in addition to general horribleness.

*UPDATE*
    Found another thread about this issue. It looks like there were the same communication problems and ultimately it just came to an end.... in July 2011.
    Last edited by quequotion; February 13th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi! all.
    I posted, P #10:As a further check I logged-in to Ubuntu 2d, and Unity 2D does the same FullScreen trick of hiding the top line behind the title bar.
    BTW File Manager Windows also behave in the same way, when Clicked to FullScreen.

With Gnome Classic, the top bar is a 'normal' Gnome Panel, that can be edited or removed with the Alt+Right-Click drop-down menu, or easily have Icons added, which the Unity top bar can not.

Perhaps this is to do with the Global Menu, which Gnome Classic does not have.

Personally I am not bothered by this, as my Mouse works as I would expect.

Chao!, bogan.

Sounds like you've observed the behavior I'm talking about.
    It's not caused by the global menu.
    The behavior is the same even without global menu (appmenu) installed.

The reason this bothers me is not completely asthetic.

I don't want the application title and menu, as well as the indicator icons, the clock, and the user and system menus on top of my games, movies, audio visualizers, image editor, etc when the applications are in full-screen and should occupy 100% of the screen space without obstruction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    In full screen mode the windows are moving under the panel.
    It certainly looks like that.

There is no intention to make the top panel disappear when a window is maximised.
    I already mentioned this, but I mean "full-screen" and not "maximised"; the two terms are not interchangable.

The rest of your post describes the behavior of maximising/unmaximising windows in compiz which has apparently not changed.

I am having a problem with full-screen applications, not maximized applications.

Beans

I think I have more or less, the same issue. Here's my original post about it (no one ever answered):

For the past couple of weeks I've had this bug. When I maximize a window from being minimized it goes all the way up into the panel. To fix it I only have to grab the panel and drag down and the window pops back where it should be just under the panel. But it's really annoying.

Here's a picture. If you'll notice the top of the maximized nautilus window goes up and behind my semi-transparent panel.

Does anyone have any info on this and a means of fixing it? I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by baillou2 View Post
    I think I have more or less, the same issue. Here's my original post about it (no one ever answered):

For the past couple of weeks I've had this bug. When I maximize a window from being minimized it goes all the way up into the panel. To fix it I only have to grab the panel and drag down and the window pops back where it should be just under the panel. But it's really annoying.

Here's a picture. If you'll notice the top of the maximized nautilus window goes up and behind my semi-transparent panel.

Does anyone have any info on this and a means of fixing it? I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance.
    Your screenshot definetly looks like the same issue, but the circumstances are different.

You are experiencing a bug in maximisation behavior.

In your case, the window size is increasing after being re-maximised; ignoring the the panel which should also be serving as the titlebar and upper limit for the maximised window.

Is this happening with all applications or just certain applications?

I started this thread because of a problem with full-screen.

The properties of a full-screen application and a maximized window are different.

A maximised window should have:
    1. A title bar
    2. A window frame
    3. Close, Minimize, and Restore buttons

In Unity, the panel provides those along with the indicator icons, clock, and user and system menus.

A full-screen application:
    1. Occupies 100% of screen space with content

There should be nothing else on the screen at all.

My problem is the the panel is always visible. So your problem and mine look the same, and may even be related, but are not exactly the same bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, quequotion,

My previous Posts in this thread were a little confused as I had not appreciated the full significance of you distinguishing between maximised and fullscreen windows.

Now I do, and I am a bit surprised that no-one seems to have responded to your Post:
    Can you provide a screenshot of anything in full-screen (not maximized) with no panel at the top? (I should not be able to see the application name or menu nor the indicator icons, the clock, or the user and system menus).
    I would have responded before this, but had not a clue how to attach multiple Thumbnails. I have now found away to do so, but the results are even more confusing.

Running 11.10 logged in to Ubuntu { Unity }
    First, the only program I have found that behaves roughly as you describe is Gimp. FullScreened [ F11 ] it occupies the whole screen but the top panel Icons are on top of it and active. I have not tried to get a screenshot.

Second, an empty Gedit screen Clicked to Full-Screen { F11 } is totally white, with no borders or Panels, and no Icons showing; not much point in Posting a screenshot of nothing.

So the file in the 1st image has three lines of text, though only line 3 is visible, until the cursor is placed, not just on the top text line, but touching the extreme top of the screen.
    The first image is of a Gedit file FullScreened { F11 } with the cursor pushed up to the top edge of the screen, causing the Gedit Tool Bar to come down over the top two lines of the text.
    .....................................<< Click on the space below this, there is a Thumbnail there!
    The actual Screen image visible is limited by the thin line over the Gedit Toolbar.

The second image is FireFox FullScreened { F11 } with the cursor held below the top bar, the dark surround of the Ubuntu Forum screen occupies the Top Bar and no panel Icons are visible. The top five lines have gone.
    However the two FF buttons are also in that Bar, the |F| on the left giving access to FF's own menus, and the three size buttons on the right are also active.
    The actual visible image is limited by the dark surround on the forum display.

The third image is FireFox FullScreened { F11 } with the cursor pushed up to the top edge of the screen, causing the two FF Tool Bars to come down but not over the top two lines of the display: instead the latter scrolls down to make room for them. The FF buttons stay in the same position independent of the scrolling.
    The trouble is that, apart from the first which accurately shows what is visible on the screen, but shows in addition, lines and the panel which belong to the Nautilus display of the Screenshot, these screen shots bare no resemblance at all to what is actually visible.

Neither the Left side LauncherPanel nor the top Panel and top three lines are visible. whereas the screenshots show things which are not Fullscreen displays at all, and Image 2 & 3 seem identical, which is a travesty.

Chao!, bogan. Puzzled beyond belief. I clearly need a different way of getting a true screen shot.
    Last edited by bogan; February 16th, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Note indicating thumbnail added.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, quequotion,

My previous Posts in this thread were a little confused as I had not appreciated the full significance of you distinguishing between maximised and fullscreen windows.

Now I do, and I am a bit surprised that no-one seems to have responded to your Post
    As am I, somewhat. I am also not entirely shocked that there are no screenshots without the Unity panel as it is always visible under all circumstances in every installation of Ubuntu (until someone proves me wrong).

...Gimp. FullScreened [ F11 ] it occupies the whole screen but the top panel Icons are on top of it and active.
    I verified this. Like everything else, the panel is visible on top of Gimp's fullscreen window; unlike everything else, the icons and menus on the panel still respond to clicks.

Neither the Left side LauncherPanel nor the top Panel and top three lines are visible.
    I think you mean the screenshot of gedit, which looks like the correct full-screen behavior. Gedit's slide down menu should cover a few lines when the cursor hits the top of the screen to pull it down and neither the launcher nor the panel should be visible.

How did you get that screenshot? I need to know in exact detail.

Chao!, bogan. Puzzled beyond belief. I clearly need a different way of getting a true screen shot.
    Yes, unfortunately your screenshots of firefox show neither full-screen nor anything to corroborate your statements.

How did you take these screenshots?
    Last edited by quequotion; February 16th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast