Thread: 10.04 clean installation on simple old h/w gives 'grub rescue'. But it looks OK.

Beans

10.04 clean installation on simple old h/w gives 'grub rescue'. But it looks OK.

Installed 10.04 (alternate) on an AMD K6-400 with 192M memory, completely wiping out the Fedora installation that was there, working. It has a single 6GB disk which I allowed the installer to partition automatically, with grub in the MBR. The installation apparently ran clean but when I reboot I get "invalid filesystem" and the boot rescue prompt. I did a complete clean install again, to be sure, and got the same result.

But using a live CD -- both the recovery console from Ubuntu and also SysRescueCD -- shows an EXT4 filesystem with all the directories and files that you'd expect.

I ran bootinfoscript, which I think confirms that everything is in order. The full results are at http://www.lawshouse.org/download/RESULTS.txt but the critical part is this:

Code:
    ============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.97-1.98) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 
        1 of the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and 
        looks in partition 1 for /boot/grub.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info:  
        Operating System:  Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
        Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       Extended Partition
        Boot sector type:  Unknown
        Boot sector info:  

sda5: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info:  

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 6448 MB, 6448619520 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 784 cylinders, total 12594960 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1    *          2,048    11,943,935    11,941,888  83 Linux
    /dev/sda2          11,945,982    12,593,151       647,170   5 Extended
    /dev/sda5          11,945,984    12,593,151       647,168  82 Linux swap / Solaris
    Surely it should boot with that configuration? I'm at a loss to know what
    to look at next.

I've looked at dozens of "grub rescue" posts on these forums but they're
    mostly odd installation in some way -- external drives, dual boot, drives
    over 192GB and so on. This one is dead simple!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 10.04 clean installation on simple old h/w gives 'grub rescue'. But it looks OK.

It all looks peachy to me, and yet...
    The grub-rescue prompt arises when the Grub code at the start of the disk cannot find the /boot directory. So it is most likely not looking in the right place or the BIOS is giving it bad info.

Have you tried helping it by hand by following the "boot from grub-rescue" instructions here? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr....27.29_Booting

When you boot Ubuntu you'll need to run
    sudo update-grub
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 10.04 clean installation on simple old h/w gives 'grub rescue'. But it looks OK.

With 192 MB memory you should rather do a fresh install of Lubuntu.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have the Live CD so try to chroot into /. Boot off of live CD and open a terminal and:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    Code:
    sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev; sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts; sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc; sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
    Code:
    sudo chroot /mnt
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/sda
    Code:
    update-grub
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts && sudo umount /mnt/dev && sudo umount /mnt/proc && sudo umount /mnt/sys; sudo umount /mnt
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    If you can get a internet connection on your live CD we can get a internet connection for your install while
    in chroot. Run these first to see if you what is up with install and if grub will be placed. All looks well in the
    portion of boot_info_script.sh you posted.
    #But of course "invalid filesystem" is not a good thing. But this is worth a try any which way.
    ## Installing Lubuntu is a very good post
    Last edited by garvinrick4; September 23rd, 2011 at 01:34 AM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

Quoth YesWeCan:
    or the BIOS is giving it bad info
    That was the key to it. This is an old BIOS and for reasons best known to itself it had forgotten what the disk geometry was. A little fiddling caused it to discover it (and the LBA mode), and off went Ubuntu with a roar. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions; I've learnt a lot as usual.

(And I'm downloading Lubuntu as I write; sounds more appropriate).