Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Linux desktop is dead. Long live the Linux desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The Linux desktop is dead. Long live the Linux desktop

For whatever reason(s), <Insert distribution here> Linux seems unwilling and/or unable to market itself to the degree that Windows or MacOS has. In my opinion this has been its greatest weakness and ultimate Achilles heel. As always time will tell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    The point is, for "average" consumers, they can't go in to a big box store and buy a Linux desktop. Which decreases the widespread acceptance of the Linux desktop, since most "average" consumers won't "run [their] currently favoured GNU/Linux installer on them the moment [they get] 'em home."
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying
    Quote Originally Posted by BbUiDgZ View Post
    ebuyer.com
    Find me a brick and mortar store that has Linux desktops/laptops for sale.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The original article linked to mentions the success of Android (which uses the Linux kernel). There are several reasons Android has been successful where desktop (shorthand for desktop, laptop, and netbook) Linux has been unsuccesful:
    1. It's marketed as a single product, not one more Linux distribution.
    2. It comes preinstalled and preconfigured on easily obtainable, competitively priced smartphones from well-known manufacturers.
    3. The operating system (Android) has a big name attached to it (Google) that can also work handset manufacturer deals. Not sure Mark Shuttleworth has quite the same corporate muscle to work out deals with OEMs.
    4. Android came out before the touchscreen phone market was fully saturated. iPhone definitely had a headstart, but it hadn't fully taken over when Android came out to the general public.
    Android would have gotten nowhere (meaning only geeks and power users) if you got it mainly by buying a Blackberry or iPhone and then installing it yourself.
    Last edited by aysiu; September 24th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The Linux desktop is not dead, just unknown.The only way I can buy Linux in any store in the states ( at least near me) is the local super bookstore. Even at the bookstore the Linux mags are behind the Windows and Mac mags. If you know what you are looking for you are fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux destkop will never become "mainstream" without some real OEM power behind it. There are a few niche OEM's, and some half assed, little advertised attempts by larger oems (*cough dell *cough).

Any big OEM that has offered linux has never had the balls to actually try and advertise, and wonder why its not poplular.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I don't hate MS. I just don't really care for Windows. I prefer Linux because of no Virus' and its free. That is all there is to it for me. It's free... honestly that is all I care about. I don't care about the advancement of free and open source software. As long as it works and I don't have to dish out my hard earned money on some 400 dollar piece of software that I will have to update in a few years, that is all I care about. To me, let someone else worry about the advancement of FOSS.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234