Thread: Dell Dimension 3000, display problem (see video)

Beans

Exclamation Dell Dimension 3000, display problem (see video)

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my Dell Dimension 3000 using a Viewsonic Optiquest Q2162wb monitor.

I'm getting a strange display issue (see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=810HXI33Q9g)

I have tried a number of different resolutions using xrandr, but none are working.
    A strange thing is that when I run the demo disc to "try" ubuntu, the display is fine... it is not at the monitor's best resolution, but it is stable.

also, FYI... I have a Dimension 2400 running Windows XP that sends to the monitor without any problems (including using the Ubuntu disc)

Thanks for any advice/direction.

Beans

Display Problem Help Please... (see video)

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my Dell Dimension 3000 using a Viewsonic Optiquest Q2162wb monitor.

I'm getting a strange display issue (see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=810HXI33Q9g)

I have tried a number of different resolutions using xrandr, but none are working.
    A strange thing is that when I run the demo disc to "try" ubuntu, the display is fine... it is not at the monitor's best resolution, but it is stable.

also, FYI... I have a Dimension 2400 running Windows XP that sends to the monitor without any problems (including using the Ubuntu disc)

Thanks for any advice/direction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Display Problem Help Please... (see video)

You might get more eyes and more focused responses if you didn't post in two separate subforums... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1848340

Beans

Thanks for the advice...
    Sorry if I crossed some line of forum etiquette.
    First time help seeker... I usually just lurk out responses from other people's posts.

Do you have a suggestion on where the best place to post this issue would be?

Didn't know if it was mainly a Dell thing, or just a generic display thing... that's why I picked those two sub-forums...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Threads merged and title changed.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Re: Dell Dimension 3000, display problem (see video)

Thanks for merging the theads... I appreciate it!

I just downloaded and installed the latest Ubuntu (11.04) and have been trying to figure out the problem with that only...

would any of the other releases (Xubuntu Lubuntu Kubuntu) be a better choice?

I saw a thread about using a "basic" install... would this help?
    Is that a separate download? or do you access that from the regular boot disc?

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Dell Dimension 3000, display problem (see video)

Does it happen using both open- and closed source display drivers?

I am not sure what you mean with a basic install. Please point to the thread.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts