Thread: Splash screen - always text fallback

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Splash screen - always text fallback

Ive been trying to change my splash screen for months. No matter what I do, it displays the text fallback splash screen. All my config files will point to the splash screen I want, but the fallback text one comes up. My guess is that my video device isnt loading up in time. Is there any fix for this??

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Splash screen - always text fallback

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Ive been trying to change my splash screen for months. No matter what I do, it displays the text fallback splash screen. All my config files will point to the splash screen I want, but the fallback text one comes up. My guess is that my video device isnt loading up in time. Is there any fix for this??

Do you use open source drivers? Proprietary drivers can't be started early enough for plymouth I believe.

Beans
    Distro

I believe they are open source....how do I check? I didnt have to install any drivers for my video devices...

Beans
    Hidden!

Check this wiki page on how to set it up on a basic linux system: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Plymouth

You won't need to recompile the kernel, because the Ubuntu kernel already contains those settings. But you can check other settings.

For the video drivers. If you use an ATI or Intel card, you probably use Open-source drivers. If you have an nVidia card, than you probably use closed source drivers. The nouveau drivers are the open source ones, but they don't work with Unity, compiz or Gnome-shell and have bad performance for games.

Beans
    Distro

Its an Intel graphics card so Im assuming that the drivers are not the issue.

The arch page for plymouth doesnt really apply to Ubuntu...Debian based systems use update-alternatives. Ive been through all that several times.