Thread: WPA Enterprise trouble (Eduroam)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool WPA Enterprise trouble (Eduroam)

About two weeks ago I bought an Asus Eee PC to be able to work on my assignments at school. The first thing I did was to install Ubuntu 11.04 of course, which is very smooth on my new netbook.

For more than a week I am trying to connect to my school's WPA Enterprise wifi (Eduroam), but whatever I try, nothing seems to work.

I am entering all the information I am supposed to, but I can't get the wifi to connect.

I tried to connect with the standard Gnome Network Manager. I tried to connect with WICD. Then I tried to change my password on my schoolnetwork, which didn't work, so I changed it back. Yesterday I removed Ubuntu and installed Fedora 15, just to see if this is an Ubuntu related problem. But also Fedora can't connect to the network in any way.

This is driving me crazy. I am able to connect with the internet at school through my Android phone, but this is not ideal, because it is draining my phone's battery quickly.

I would like to know it if there is anyone who has any idea why my laptop cannot connect to WPA Enterprise.

Thanks in advance.

WPA Enterprise settings below;

Wireless security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
    Authentication: Tunneled TLS
    Anonymous Identity: blank
    CA Certificate: Equifax Secure Global eBusiness CA-1
    Inner authentication: MSCHAPv2
    Username: ********
    Password: ********
    Last edited by dreamsR4living; September 22nd, 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: WPA Enterprise trouble (Eduroam)

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsR4living View Post
    I am entering all the information I am supposed to, but I can't get the wifi to connect.
    Same problem here. Still no one knows a solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same problem here. Still no one knows a solution?
    I would think that there are a lot of professional users on this forum with some WPA Enterprise configuring experience...

I also posted in an existing thread on the Dutch Ubuntu Forum, but also there I got no reaction.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is not a new bug either. I have found posts with the exact same problems from years ago.

I'm seeing this problem on my laptop (Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AGN) with Eduroam at university. There doesn't seem to be a fix from all the posts I have read about it. My work around at the minute is to tether my phone
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB )1333MHz DDR3
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
    Mobo: XFX nForce 790i Ultra 3-Way SLI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Are you sure all the settings are correct? I've been able to connect to the same type of network at my university but I've had to change the authentication type to PEAP according to the instructions provided.
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."
    -- Sam Levenson
    Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D | Triple booting CrunchBang, Ubuntu and Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by I_can_see_the_light View Post
    Are you sure all the settings are correct? I've been able to connect to the same type of network at my university but I've had to change the authentication type to PEAP according to the instructions provided.
    Yes, very sure my details are correct. I have tested them on a friends laptop who is running ubuntu (11.04) as well and they work fine. I have included a screenshot in case it will help someone else though.

I seem to be able to connect very rarely if the machine has just started for the first time while at University in range of the wifi. It will not work through a reboot, or turning it off and on again. Is there some sort of time-based cache that would cause this sort of behaviour?

I have tried talking with the IT department, but when I showed him the problem, he couldn't say anything other than, "I have never seen this type of interface before", and after explained it was linux he said, "why do you use linux?". So not much help there, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB )1333MHz DDR3
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
    Mobo: XFX nForce 790i Ultra 3-Way SLI

Beans

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm currently experiencing the same issue.

Beans

I use an EeePC netbook and had the same problem, connecting to eduroam. My college (in the Netherlands) only provided information on how to connect with Ubuntu 8.04, but not with ubuntu 12.10. In the older tuturial they suggested you should not use any certificate. However, this did not work for me. So I downloaded the "AddTrustExternalCARoot.crt" certificate and used it with the same setting I had before: WPA & WPA2 enterprise/ Protected EAP (PEAP)/ ..../ PEAP version: automatic/ inner authentication: MSCHAPv2
    It worked for me, so maybe the trick is to try different certificates and check information from other universities using eduroam on Ubuntu 12.04 (which I did).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Ubuntu (12.04):

Connection name: eduroam

SSID: eduroam

- Wireless Security

Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise

Authentication: Tuneled TLS (TTLS)

Anonymous identity: _blank_

CA certificate: download a certificate and place ir here

Inner authentication: PAP

Username: mystudentusername@us.es

Password: mypassoftheUniversity

--

As seen here http://randybrito.tumblr.com/post/36...dad-de-sevilla I'll update the post with those include in the To Do list, I've successfully set up wifi on those