Thread: permission to add new file to usr, How do I??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry permission to add new file to usr, How do I??

Dell Inspiron 1545 running ubuntu 11.04 32bit

After successfully installing 11.04 from my live USB drive on my new (used) laptop, I downloaded a game I like (Bos Wars) from the Ubuntu software center. It works great EXCEPT When I try to add a couple of new maps (created by me on a different computer) in usr/share/games/boswars/maps (This is where the maps were put on the download) my computer tells me I don't have permission to do that.
    I know there must be a way to get this permission but I have not run into this message before so I need help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: permission to add new file to usr, How do I??

You'll be needing to open the destination folder usr/share/games/boswars/maps with root privilege...

This might help ya out - http://lifehacker.com/5596006/create...root-in-ubuntu

Alternatively, as I have, you can create a launcher (right click on desktop and select create launcher) then name it something like Root File Browser and in the "Command to run on click" write
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    That will create a desktop shortcut to browse your files with root privilege.

Then when you open as root you can navigate to destination folder and put your maps in there
    Last edited by puca mor; September 22nd, 2011 at 12:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: permission to add new file to usr, How do I??

Alternatively, change the folder's permissions.

In the terminal, run:
    Code:
    sudo chown `stat -c %U /usr/share/games/boswars/maps/`.`id -gn` /usr/share/games/boswars/maps/
    sudo chmod 775 /usr/share/games/boswars/maps/
    This will change the owner to the current owner and your group as the folder's group.

chmod 775 makes the folder writable to your group, so you can now copy files without running as root.
    Shamelessly plugging my GLog! (GeekLog) in every post I can
    If your problem is solved, please do take the time to mention it and Mark the Thread as Solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: permission to add new file to usr, How do I??

Thank You thank you and Gracias muchisimo.
    I successfully changed the file permission and everything is working great