Thread: Help PLEASE!!! Selecting laptop hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Help PLEASE!!! Selecting laptop hardware.

Hello,

I picked up an old desktop maybe three years ago, an HP Pavilion 3300+ AMD 2.2 Ghz. The reason I mention that is, it just works. Kubuntu 8.04 is fine.

I've had bad luck with older laptop hardware. I tried a Dell Latitude C840 ( Service Tag: 64MS731 ) which didn't work out. I recently tried an old sony Vaio ( Machine Name: PCG-R505TSK ) with Kubuntu 10.04.3 "Lucid Lynx" LTS and it's a total snail!!! I even got rid of Nepomuck/Strigi/Avahi daemon, etc. Not much it takes to clog up the pipes for this ol' Padawan.

I'm really on a budget but my next choice is to try newegg.com and I hoped someone could recommend a couple laptops, say below $475 U.S.D. that would surely work with Kubuntu 10.04.3 and beyond.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help PLEASE!!! Selecting laptop hardware.

Newegg's site isn't working for me right now, but generally speaking, any computer using Intel chipsets (cpu, video, etc...) will run linux just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I think you should try and use a distro with less demanding specs if you want to use a low spec system. Kubuntu is very pretty and getting heavy each release.

- Red
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    I think you should try and use a distro with less demanding specs if you want to use a low spec system. Kubuntu is very pretty and getting heavy each release.

- Red
    meh, most notebook these days have 3GB RAM and kubuntu needs about 700 to run fine. I mean at the moment it runs very well and fast on 1GB. it also depends what things you turn on.

anyway i would have a look at some HP notebooks. they have some with good prices and even with OpenSUSE preinstalled. so the are KDE compatible it also depends what you are using it for.

for exampel they sell this one here: HP 635 1,65 GHz (A1E36EA) for 380 EUR ( iam guessing this will be $ in your country as is usually the case), has 320 GB disk,15.6" screen, 4GB ram, ATI 4250 graphics and SUSE Linux Enterprise preinstalled. seems good enough for some basic computing.

There are also some ASUS and Acer for this price. you may even find a Lenovo and Toschiba.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla