Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zareason vs System76

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Zareason vs System76

Which one is better? I know Zareason is cheaper, which is why I'm considering using it, but System76 is also more popular. Which one is better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Zareason vs System76

When I compare them I don't see much of a difference, and usually it is in System 76's favor.

What system(s) are you looking at?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I have no experience with Zareason, but I've been using a Serval Professional for the past couple months. So far, it's been very solid. I recommend this product.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm not looking at any specific model. I will probably get the cheapest model netbook. I just want to know which one I should use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will probably get the cheapest model netbook.
    In which case there is no point to asking which vendor is "best," and certainly not on a site dedicated to support from one of the vendors.

I understand how difficult this economy is. A lot of people are struggling. That said do remember that you may get what you pay for. "Best" and "cheapest" do not often go together in my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Orcris View Post
    I'm not looking at any specific model. I will probably get the cheapest model netbook. I just want to know which one I should use.
    Currently System76 does not offer a net-book. Zareason offers a 10'' and 11'' model. From my research both are great companies and do well by the GNU/Linux community.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Orcris View Post
    I know Zareason is cheaper

That was my initial impression too... but when I sat down with a spreadsheet and priced out, option by option, two similarly spec'd machines (Serval vs. Verix2)... System76 looks to be a couple hundred $$$ cheaper - and thats *if* I don't opt for a couple of features that ZAreason doesn't offer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If I take the base System76 Pangolin Performance and the ZaReason Strata 5330 with upping the chip to match the i5 in the Pangolin and matching ram, hd, etc. I get $ 838.00 for ZaReason and $699.00 for the System76 machine and as far as I can see they have the same specs (or am I missing something?).

Even if I update the System76 to the second i5 chip (+$59) it is still $758 vs $838

i5 chip
    2 GB Ram
    250 GB hard drive
    Intel BGN wireless
    Intel Graphics
    6-cell battery
    1.3 MP webcame
    SD card reader (ZaReason might read more cards)

One thing that could be different, I guess, is the i5 chips may not be a direct comparison and ZaReason offers more than just Ubuntu installed but otherwise I don't see much of a difference between the two.

If I take the System76 and pop up to the first i7 chip option, go to 4 GB of Ram and increase the hard drive to 500 GB the price creeps up to $831!
    Last edited by Dragonbite; September 22nd, 2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added links to the 2 laptops being compared
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    If I take the base System76 Pangolin Performance and the ZaReason Strata 5330 with upping the chip to match the i5 in the Pangolin and matching ram, hd, etc. I get $ 838.00 for ZaReason and $699.00 for the System76 machine and as far as I can see they have the same specs (or am I missing something?).

Even if I update the System76 to the second i5 chip (+$59) it is still $758 vs $838

i5 chip
    2 GB Ram
    250 GB hard drive
    Intel BGN wireless
    Intel Graphics
    6-cell battery
    1.3 MP webcame
    SD card reader (ZaReason might read more cards)

One thing that could be different, I guess, is the i5 chips may not be a direct comparison and ZaReason offers more than just Ubuntu installed but otherwise I don't see much of a difference between the two.

If I take the System76 and pop up to the first i7 chip option, go to 4 GB of Ram and increase the hard drive to 500 GB the price creeps up to $831!
    There is actually a sizeable difference. The Pangolin offers 2nd-generation Intel chips (Sandy Bridge) that offer much more performance and much lower power consumption. In addition to that, the Pangolin will offer much faster graphics since the GPU on sandy bridge chips is integrated onto the CPU chip, rather than the motherboard.

The Pangolin also offers faster RAM. This won't make as big a difference than the processor will, but it is still there. That Strata is actually more comparable in specs to a Lemur 2.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I can't fully compare and contrast the two, but I can say that a ZaReason desktop was actually my first computer purchase (using my own money) and my first time ever seeing, using, and loving Ubuntu (or Linux for that matter). Their customer service is amazing, however their products seem a bit more behind the times than those of System76. None of their notebooks feature LED displays (though, I believe their netbooks), and many of their desktops still feature the old Intel SSD drives, and other seemingly more dated parts. Not to mention that their current lineup of desktops are rather mundane in appearance.

But, I'm still super partial to ZaReason and check the site weekly for a potential upgrade model (desktop or notebook). Unlike System76, they offer AMD options (yay!) and offer installation of a variety of Linux operating systems. They'll make the system 32 or 64 bit upon request and will ship the system with any additional programs you want pre-installed. I also like they don't ship their systems with proprietary drivers. And while it's not a bad or good thing to have them, I just like that their systems are made to "just work" on their own.

So, yeah, I really like ZaReason - I just wish they were able to jazz their wares up a bit. And while I haven't purchased anything from System76 (yet!), I have been in contact with them via email and those I have corresponded with have delivered nothing short of excellent customer service. Now, if they'd just introduce a the new Lemur with a matte screen and a few other tweaks as mentioned in the Lemur thread floating about, they'd have my order for Oneric in no time flat!
    Last edited by norfair; September 23rd, 2011 at 01:38 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast