Thread: Is there an Ubuntu compatible game controller I can use for an emulator?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs down Is there an Ubuntu compatible game controller I can use for an emulator?

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of a good Ubuntu-compatible game controller I can use with the Mupen64Plus N64 emulator? I just need something with a joystick and the standard buttons/pads. It doesn't have to be something for insane hardcore gamers (not that there is anything wrong with you guys). I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.
    "Better the pain of hard work than the pain of regret."

Beans

Re: Is there an Ubuntu compatible game controller I can use for an emulator?

PS2 dualshock2 pad connected through USB adapter works like a charm on my system. PS1 pad also works. The only thing that is missing is force feedback. If you want something wireless i recommend Xbox360 pad. The PS3 pads have some issues with calibration on many emulators.

P.S. For N64 i have to recommend old plain Project64 1.6 + Glide64 (final 29 dec 2011). I know that mupen64 is native for linux but it doest have the newest Glide64 plugin which is the best graphical plugin to date in my opinion. Correct me if i am wrong on this one...

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Is there an Ubuntu compatible game controller I can use for an emulator?

Thanks for the input purdobol.

I don't know about the Glide64 plugin, but if it is for graphics then I'm not too worried about it. I am happy with what I have now, graphics wise.

But getting back to the PS controller. If you say that it works with Ubuntu for you, then that is great. I think I will check it out (vibration features aren't an absolute necessity, I just need something that works well). If you know it off the top of your head, is that controller easily configurable (with Mupen64)?

Also: Is there a huge difference between the Dualshock 1 and Dualshock 2?
    Last edited by HunterDX77M; April 3rd, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.

Beans

From IGN review:

"The biggest difference between the Dual Shock 2 and the original ... is the fact that ... all of the buttons and even the digital pad offer analog support. This means that the d-pad, the four face buttons and the four shift buttons are all pressure sensitive and have 255 degrees of sensitivity. ... It's also worth noting that the Dual Shock 2 is a bit lighter than the original Dual Shock."

So in emulation theres no difference

Configuration is the same as keyboard. You choose pad and map the buttons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by purdobol View Post
    From IGN review:

"The biggest difference between the Dual Shock 2 and the original ... is the fact that ... all of the buttons and even the digital pad offer analog support. This means that the d-pad, the four face buttons and the four shift buttons are all pressure sensitive and have 255 degrees of sensitivity. ... It's also worth noting that the Dual Shock 2 is a bit lighter than the original Dual Shock."

So in emulation theres no difference

Configuration is the same as keyboard. You choose pad and map the buttons.
    Fantastic. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go see if I can rustle one up online and an adapter to go with it. Are all the adapters generally the same or do you have a recommendation?

(By the way, Glide64 was available as a graphics plugin, it just wasn't selected. I do notice a difference )
    Last edited by HunterDX77M; April 4th, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
    He's watching you . . .

Beans

I've tested two adapters. One is made by Warez (USB --> 2 pads) and another is some noname (USB --> 1 pad). Both work fine on linux so a presume any adapter will do.

And another note on graphical plugins. Some games use framebuffer effects that are really hard to emulate on pc. Good example is Conkers Bad Fur Day.
    In the intro scene theres a part when the view goes to fpp (when he's drunk). Only Glide64 can display that scene without artifacts (newest version). Its not something game braking but..