Thread: How to get boot text back

Beans

How to get boot text back

What I would like is to get the bootup messages and text that used to display when the splash option was removed.

Since maverick, I have not been able to get that, even after disabling plymouth. All I get is a black screen, until after the fsck stuff runs, then I get brief text before the greeter screen. I can't really remove plymouth itself -- it threatens to remove most of the OS along with it. But I have disabled it with sysv-rc-conf, removed its hooks in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks and done an update-initramfs -u, and removed the "splash" option in /etc/default/grub. No luck, I still get a black screen most of the time.

OK so it's not pretty, but I want to see that stuff. Anyone got it working? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How to get boot text back

This guide helped me fixed this in Lucid, not sure if it will work with Natty.

High resolution Plymouth & Virtual Terminal for ATI/NVIDIA cards with proprietary/restricted driver

Use this guide with caution if you must give it a try. Make sure to backup all files that the guide insists on changing.

Edit: My bad, i just realized your asking for the opposite of what the guide i posted is telling you to do. srry about that.
    Last edited by ddr3XD; September 21st, 2011 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

Re: How to get boot text back

Right, I want to get rid of the graphics until the greeter screen. Still works in debian, not sure what ubuntu has done to break it.