Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boot error USB won't boot

Beans

boot error USB won't boot

Ok so I have a Toshiba NB505-500 netbook that I am trying to install ANYTHING other than Puppy Linux onto but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm just trying to boot from USB, CD/DVD isn't an option here.

I have tried formatting in FAT and FAT32 neither of which work.

Problem:
    Using unetbootin I check the syslinux.cfg file and it looks ok then I try to boot the USB and I get to a boot error screen and when I check the syslinux.cfg file (using notepad++) afterwards it has been almost wiped but not really there are just a bunch of NULL symbols.

Using Universal USB Installer I do the same thing and I get a syslinux error No default Configuration or UI file found and again some of my stuff has been erased from the USB.

What is going on??

Beans

Re: boot error USB won't boot

bumpity bump

Beans

Anyone got anything?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Beans

Nope, I tried using YUMI and it worked up until i clicked the linux distro and then the screen went blank and only showed

boot:

Beans

Also, I noticed that after I got the boot: screen when I shut down the computer and took the flash drive to my desktop the entire

syslinux folder of the Linux Distro was empty.

Somehow it had been deleted entirely and I don't know why but I feel like this is the problem somehow my computer is deleting the folder I need to boot the distro.

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro

First question: Have you even manage to boot off of the usb drive yet?
    Second question: What OS are you trying to install/boot?

Beans

Yes, I can boot puppy linux, dsl, and other really small distros that don't need any folders or anything and I can also boot Windows 7 starter though I can't install that because I get to the setup and it asks to locate the cd/dvd driver even though it's a netbook.

I am trying to install Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, LinuxMint, anything really other than the small ones.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beaver_313 View Post
    Yes, I can boot puppy linux, dsl, and other really small distros that don't need any folders or anything and I can also boot Windows 7 starter though I can't install that because I get to the setup and it asks to locate the cd/dvd driver even though it's a netbook.

I am trying to install Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, LinuxMint, anything really other than the small ones.
    So what exactly happens when you try any other ones but the small ones? And can you be more specific with which one your trying to boot because from what I understand so far is that it wont boot any of "The Big" ones but boots "The Small" ones, which would indicate your ram could be malfunctioning or maybe your just doing something wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast