Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best dock for kde

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best dock for kde

using xubuntu 11.10 now. KDE was fun to play with, and looks really good but I wasn't diggin' how much RAM it used up. It got to the point where my system would be eating as much as 700+ MB of RAM just doing simple tasks. Doing resource intensive stuff like transcoding video files was causing system lock ups.
    XFCE likes to sit right around 125MB of RAM though. Much faster on my less than impressive hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Wink Re: Best dock for kde

If you're using Xubuntu now then you might want to give Cairo-Dock a second run. You're in GTK world now

I found CD to be more responsive under Xfce than under GNOME for some reason. The OpenGL mode can also be turned off for even faster performance with only a little less eye candy.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    This is the only dock for KDE that I found that you haven't written about .http://kooldock.sourceforge.net/
    I have used Kooldock some years ago, on an openSUSE system, quite liked it, but as far as I know it is no longer maintained.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by linuxrev View Post
    I have used Kooldock some years ago, on an openSUSE system, quite liked it, but as far as I know it is no longer maintained.
    You are correct , the packages are dated 2007 .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I just discovered adeskbar and it seems extremely light
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I currently use Xubuntu 11.10, I installed AWN and love it. My computer is still very fast, but is GNOME slowing it down? Should have I used another doc? Can I remove some of the GNOME fat?

Thanks,
    Ernie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I love AWN. It and Docky are tied for my favorite Linux dock, but Docky tends to edge out AWN because A) I don't use GNOME anymore and don't like the fact that AWN installs GNOME as a dependency and B) Because Docky is lighter than AWN albeit somewhat less configurable. Docky has a nice non-composite fallback mode.

As for kooldock and ksmoothdock, neither are maintained any longer and both are for KDE 3.5. the Trinity Project does provide an up to date version of KDE 3.5 for those who refuse to adopt KDE4 but I would never use it since apps are developed for KDE3.5 anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!

The way I see it, the best case for Windows 7 is the recent wave of Linux desktop environments. It has been absolutely disastrous and have completely shattered the usual DE constituencies. For some reason, all this guys sat around a table and decided that what Linux DE needed was less flexibility, are you kidding me? Mark pretty said that this lack of flexibility on Unity was a feature, not a bug. If this is what I wanted I would've just bought a Mac years ago since it's been a long time FLOSS stopped being an ideological battle for me.

There's still hope though (or I like to believe there is). Cinnamon looks very promising, and gnome shell can grow on you, although it needs way more configurability something that doesn't seem to be very high on gnome-dev's priorities.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12