Thread: tar.gz basic instructions

Beans

tar.gz basic instructions

Hey guys,

so i was wondering if anyone could write out (IN THE MOST BASIC LANGUAGE POSSIBLE!) the process in which you install a tar.gz file? I have run ./configure on one tar i have and it had an error. does that mean it will not install on my computer? also, should i have directed the cd command at the file within the folder (cd /usr/local/src/dymo-cups-drivers-1.2.0) or just to the folder that the file is in(cd /usr/local/src)? thanks!

Nick

Beans

Re: tar.gz basic instructions

Quote Originally Posted by nksjolinder View Post
    Hey guys,

so i was wondering if anyone could write out (IN THE MOST BASIC LANGUAGE POSSIBLE!) the process in which you install a tar.gz file? I have run ./configure on one tar i have and it had an error. does that mean it will not install on my computer? also, should i have directed the cd command at the file within the folder (cd /usr/local/src/dymo-cups-drivers-1.2.0) or just to the folder that the file is in(cd /usr/local/src)? thanks!

Nick
    OK you dont install a tar.gz, you extract its contents and then what you do next depends on whats inside.

People are often scared or confused by installing software in Linux, there is no real reason it is usually straight forward.

First of all always search in the Software Centre or Synaptic to see if software is already in the repos for easy install or from the developers website where a .deb might be available again for easy install (like a .exe in windows)

If you have to download it as a package it will often come down in a package/archive format such as xxxxx.tar or xxxx.tar.gz etc.

These are analogous to windows .zip files but with varying compression denoted by the .xx after the .tar such as .tar.gz where .gz is the compression. A .tar file means Tape Archive which is legacy from UNIX when things were backed up to tape drives. The 2 or 3 letters after the .tar refer to the type of compression used to pack down the archive.

See here for dealing with these files https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FileCompression

It is often just a simple case of right clicking in your GUI on the file and choosing extract then it will be unpackaged to a directory.

The contents might simply be a .deb file as i said for easy installation see here:
    http://linux.about.com/od/ubuntu_doc/a/ubudg21t2.htm
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

If the contents is source code then you need to compile this, this is where people often get stumped and is dependant on the developer and the documentation provided, once unpackaged there is often a README text file or a INSTALL file which you should read as it will often contain clear and concise instructions on what to do.

If not then you need to figure it out, see here for information on compiling from source:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware

then you should be set

Have fun

Regards

haqking
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

hey these are basic installations commands from a tar
    follow them one by one
    Code:
    tar xvf filename.tar
    then cd to that dir
    then do these things
    Code:
    ./configure
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    execute them one by one . at any stage if you got errors . report us back with the error .

normally we are going to face dependencies issues while installing from TAR , so we cant decide that if its not installed in your system , its not possible in others .
    if tar file crashed or damaged so no one can do anything . so follow the above instructions and report us back what you got .
    all the best .
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nick, you already got your answer in post #2 of your previous thread.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

haqking thanks for giving me the big picture on tar files and paddy you are right, i did not read that close enough but luckily i got a a good and broad response to it this time to use for future reference

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nksjolinder View Post
    haqking thanks for giving me the big picture on tar files and paddy you are right, i did not read that close enough but luckily i got a a good and broad response to it this time to use for future reference
    no problem you are very welcome.

peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013