Thread: Acer Aspire: Fan not working when dual booting Ubuntu

Beans

Problem with dual booting. Overheating.

Hello.

I am dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

My laptop brand is an Acer Aspire 5315. There's a huge problem with this machine's fan- and everyone knows about it who has one. Basically the fan just shuts off and the laptop overheats.

A while back I was running Ubuntu by itself. Lots of people suggested to me that the fan situation was a BIOS thing- it wasn't. I actually installed a script that worked just fine and fixed up the fan permanently. That script can be found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post11096228

Now, when dual booting, I installed the very same script with a fresh copy of Ubuntu. It doesn't work. Not at all. The fan spins normally in Windows 7 but is simply useless when I boot with Ubuntu.

PLEASE help me out here. I'm so frustrated.

Thanks.

Beans

Acer Aspire: Fan not working when dual booting Ubuntu

Hello.

I have an Acer Aspire 5315. There is a huge issue with the fan that everyone with this particular brand is aware of. Basically, it just stops spinning.

Some have suggested this was a BIOS error- but its not. Proof of this came for me when I had only Ubuntu on my machine and installed a handy script found here. After it was installed, the fan spun perfectly and all was well.

Some problems arose for me and I reformatted the hard drive installing first Windows 7 then downloading Ubuntu. I'm now dual booting. The fan spins just fine in Windows but in Ubuntu- even after reinstalling the script that worked once for me- the fan just does NOTHING.

I really need the help of a genius here! Please illuminate for me...

Thank you!!!

Beans

Exclamation Dual Booting, Laptop Fan Problem

I have an Acer Aspire 5315. There is a huge issue with the fan that everyone with this particular brand is aware of. Basically, it just stops spinning.

Some have suggested this was a BIOS error- but its not. Proof of this came for me when I had only Ubuntu on my machine and installed a handy script found here. After it was installed, the fan spun perfectly and all was well.

Some problems arose for me and I reformatted the hard drive installing first Windows 7 then downloading Ubuntu. I'm now dual booting. The fan spins just fine in Windows but in Ubuntu- even after reinstalling the script that worked once for me- the fan just does NOTHING.

I really need the help of a genius here! Please illuminate for me...

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire: Fan not working when dual booting Ubuntu

There's one thing I thought of that might be contributing to the problem. Tell me if you agree.

Perhaps when installing Ubuntu with Wubi, certain scripts which affect hardware such as what's mentioned above will not work.

If such is the case- which it may be- could someone please detail just how to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 7 without going through Wubi? The bottom line is that I want Ubuntu wholly independent alongside Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Acer Aspire: Fan not working when dual booting Ubuntu

I have merged all your duplicate threads. Please don't create more.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.