Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just did a full reinstall to 11.04, wireless isn't working!

Beans

Re: Just did a full reinstall to 11.04, wireless isn't working!

I'm resurrecting this thread from "SOLVED" for two reasons, which I will state in a moment, please let me know if this is in bad form.

1. While this definitely made me able to connect to wireless, the strength became absolutely terrible and would drop the connection every couple of minutes. (I made a thread here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1862967) I am wondering if there is something that I can do about this.

2. I have had to perform the fix in this thread about 3 times now, as it keeps randomly reverting back to how it was when I first posted. I cannot see any sort of pattern to what causes it to go back. I feel it may be worth noting that the physical wireless button on my keyboard causes the system to go to the next option in a cycle of 4 different settings. I cannot post the exact descriptions now because it is back to not working at all, but it would essentially be:

a) Light off, toolbar panel reads something like "No Connection"
    b) Light off, reads "Wireless disabled by hardware switch"
    c) Light on, reads something like "No Connection"
    d) Light on, reads list of available connections.

Thanks to anybody who can provide assistance!

Beans

It appears that I do not know how to make the thread no longer "SOLVED"

-- got it
    Last edited by hardisty; November 14th, 2011 at 01:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hardisty View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread from "SOLVED" for two reasons, which I will state in a moment, please let me know if this is in bad form.

1. While this definitely made me able to connect to wireless, the strength became absolutely terrible and would drop the connection every couple of minutes. (I made a thread here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1862967) I am wondering if there is something that I can do about this.

2. I have had to perform the fix in this thread about 3 times now, as it keeps randomly reverting back to how it was when I first posted. I cannot see any sort of pattern to what causes it to go back. I feel it may be worth noting that the physical wireless button on my keyboard causes the system to go to the next option in a cycle of 4 different settings. I cannot post the exact descriptions now because it is back to not working at all, but it would essentially be:

a) Light off, toolbar panel reads something like "No Connection"
    b) Light off, reads "Wireless disabled by hardware switch"
    c) Light on, reads something like "No Connection"
    d) Light on, reads list of available connections.

Thanks to anybody who can provide assistance!

"No Connection" is actually "disconnected"

Beans

Anyone? Should I make a new thread?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, the reason you have to redo the procedure is because you installed the driver from an outside source so you will have to do that every time you have an update to your kernel.

I am not sure that I can help with disconnections but I will try.

Yes you probably should have started a new thread in networking on the disconnections since it is a different issue then the one you originally had and is has been a long time since it was solved.

I found a new way to install that driver so you will not have to redo it every time their is a kernel upgrade.

Change into the drivers directory then run these commands please:
    Code:
    sudo su
    make clean
    Then
    Run these commands one line at a time please:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential dkms patch fakeroot unzip
    wget http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum/attachments/3208747/angepasster-2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO.zip
    unzip angepasster-2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO.zip
    cd angepasster-2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO/
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe -v rt5390sta
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    Then see how your disconnections are, they maybe be related to weak signal strength and their may not be anything we can do about that, but let me know after you run these commands.
    Thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, the reason you have to redo the procedure is because you installed the driver from an outside source so you will have to do that every time you have an update to your kernel.

I am not sure that I can help with disconnections but I will try.

Yes you probably should have started a new thread in networking on the disconnections since it is a different issue then the one you originally had and is has been a long time since it was solved.

I found a new way to install that driver so you will not have to redo it every time their is a kernel upgrade.

Change into the drivers directory then run these commands please:
    Code:
    sudo su
    make clean
    Then
    Run these commands one line at a time please:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential dkms patch fakeroot unzip
    wget http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum/attachments/3208747/angepasster-2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO.zip
    unzip angepasster-2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO.zip
    cd angepasster-2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO/
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe -v rt5390sta
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    Then see how your disconnections are, they maybe be related to weak signal strength and their may not be anything we can do about that, but let me know after you run these commands.
    Thank you
    It doesn't fully kick me off and then on again, so I thank you very much for that. If there's a way I could use terminal to like, provide a two minute report of it's activity or something like that, I'll post it here. It's still fluctuating quite a bit between 1 and 4 bars

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I am sorry but I am out of idea's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123