Thread: Red Hat Linux 7

Beans

Red Hat Linux 7

Whilst looking through my old books I came across a book called "Linux for Dummies" and with the book had 3 CD's of Red Hat Linux 7.

Whilst looking through the book and the pictures I was getting sentimental at the thought of having this installed years ago. I believe it came with KDE 2 and Gnome 1. Apart of me wants to install it my current computer just to have a play with it.

I also bought the same book with Red Hat Linux 8 not long after but I leant that to a mate to try and convert him to Linux but he never bothered to install it and give me the book back.

Oh what memories.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Red Hat Linux 7

Red Hat 5.0 was where it was at. FVWM-95 ftw!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

lol, never liked that red hat icon on the starter menu.
    but I do remember always loving the idea of the rpm packages back then. I mean, first distro I ever tried was Slackware. And that was way too hardcore to get working properly in comparison to Red Hat.

I think I settled for Mandrake back then though.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_junkie View Post
    Whilst looking through my old books I came across a book called "Linux for Dummies" and with the book had 3 CD's of Red Hat Linux 7.

Whilst looking through the book and the pictures I was getting sentimental at the thought of having this installed years ago. I believe it came with KDE 2 and Gnome 1. Apart of me wants to install it my current computer just to have a play with it.

I also bought the same book with Red Hat Linux 8 not long after but I leant that to a mate to try and convert him to Linux but he never bothered to install it and give me the book back.

Oh what memories.
    Go for it! Redhat 7 was the great classic Linux for Hackers, Cra8ker3 and us serious IT pros. Ah, happy days. Enjoy .... and do report back on your conclusions.

rjbl

PS I wonder how it installs on today's kit - am only guessing but graphics drivers could be a problem - still you can only suck it and see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hehe I had Redhat 7 as well, I loved the distro I also recently found the disks while cleaning out my garage, as well as some Mandrake 8 CD's and a manual.

You should install it, I tried installing RH7 in a VM it failed miserable (not shocking). I don't have an extra machine to install it on otherwise I would have. I would agree that the graphics drivers would probably be an issue though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread brings back elder Linux memories as I too have this 3inch thick book for dummies from way back when
    ... great topic author!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have Red Hat 9 that I ordered right from Red Hat. Came in a nice box with the CDs and a decent manual. It also had all the source code on separate disks.

I remember running it on my Pentium 3 PC and loving it (anything was better than Windows ME which was originally on it).
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rjbl View Post
    PS I wonder how it installs on today's kit
    I guarantee it won't install on a modern computer. Perhaps virtualbox though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbl View Post
    still you can only suck it and see.
    It might not taste too good.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a copy of RedHat 5.2, it is for Intel cpus only, I tried it in VB, but it wouldn't install. . At the time, I didn't have any Intel powered systems, but have since been given a couple of P4 systems, so I may give it a go again.

Beans

I have Redhat 5.3 (ES) running in a VM fine.

I also have Redhat 7 running in a VM using Virtual Box, but you have to make sure you after creating the .vdi you remove it from the default sata controller then reattach it to a IDE controller for obvious reasons.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013