Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 7750G and slow wifi

Beans

Acer Aspire 7750G and slow wifi

Hello,

I have a problem. Only reason that is keeping me switching from Win to Ubuntu is slow wifi problem. I have Acer Aspire 7750G with Atheros wireless card. Wifi was very slow on Ubuntu 11.04 and is the same in 11.10 Beta 1.

I have read a lot of threads about that problem and tried different things like balcklisting acer-wmi, using command iwconfig wlan0 power off, creating ath9k.conf file for encryption thingie and disabling IPv6 - absolutely no luck. What else can I do to solve this problem? Nowadays you just don't want to use Ethernet cable as workaround anymore.

I was waiting for new Ubuntu release and hoping that it will solve the problem, but it doesn't. Is there any other solution I can try? I can't find any from internet.

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 7750G and slow wifi

I did clean Ubuntu 11.10 Beta install yesterday - still the same problem. I also tried Fedora 15 just to see how it works - same problem existed there too. At first Wifi is very fast, but after some minutes it gets slower and slower. It dosen't disconnect, but I have to refresh webpages several times before I can access them. Pages load very slowly. It seems that when I disconnect wireless and after that reconnect, then wifi is fast again for couple of minutes.

I am out of ideas...

Beans

Bump!

Beans

I have same issue on Acer 7750g with Atheros chipset.
    when it works "fast" max speeds of 2.2MB/sec

must admit. after upgrading to 11.10 the connection became much more stable, but still not constant.
    works fine under windows and speeds of 14MB/sec on same network

Beans

Same problem - I have tried using Windows 7 and Wifi is fast. Maybe it is a little bit better with 11.10, but I have to say it is still very very annoying and sadly noone from community can help. It is a real deal killer for me at the moment

Beans

Hello I am hesitant to buy this pc.

ACER ASPIRE 7750G-2678G75MN
    http://fr.acer.be/ac/fr/BE/content/model/LX.RCX02.126
    Or
    Aspire AS7750G-2674G87MN
    http://fr.acer.be/ac/fr/BE/content/model/LX.RCX02.120

The problem is still present with Ubuntu 11.10 final?

Y is there any other problems?
    I found this https://friendly.ubuntu.com/11.10/Ac...k:B5G:Ovk:BF7/

Thank You !

Beans

Since today I am using Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 - everything works like a charm. Wifi is as fast as it is on Windows. That can mean only one thing - Windows has to go!

Beans

back in the beginning...somehow my wifi is slow again. Thinking what should i do...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Nampat,

I have a laptop similar to yours and had the same problems. After trying different things I finally found something that works, hopefully for the long run.

I simply installed Wicd Network Manager from the Ubuntu Software Centre, then disabled networking in Network Manager (simply click on the network icon in your toolbar and uncheck "enable networking"). Then use Wicd Network Manager to configure your wifi, and voila!

Hope it works for you too. Enjoy.

Beans

I am glad to hear that you have found the solution. I'll try it later today and let you know, how it works!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast