Thread: DV6 laptop issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

DV6 laptop issue

Hi,

I installed ubuntu 11.04 on my DV6 laptop and every thing went fine, BUT

when I shutdown it or restart it, it crashes.
    So I have to hold the power button until the laptop powers off
    specs:
    HP pavilion Dv6
    core i7
    4gb ram
    ati graphics card

This problem seems to be common to all those with DV6 laptops. Mine is the 3180EA, but others have reported exactly the same problem, with no solution.

This is the second installation of Ubuntu I've done on it. The 1st time, I also activated the restricted driver for the ATI graphics card. However, this resulted in Ubuntu not booting up at all!

SO, I suspect that it's the combination of integrated Intel and dedicated ATI graphics cards that is the problem?
    I have no idea how to confirm this, how to find what is freezing the shutdown process, or how to fix it!

Any ideas? There are some other threads that cover this, but I have been advised not to add this to those, but to start a new thread instead. If you'd like me to add links to the other threads I've found, I'll do so...the etiquette for what to do here isn't clear to me, sorry.

Thanks.
    Last edited by walding; September 18th, 2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DV6 laptop issue

You are more than welcome to link to relevant threads and web pages. It will only help people from suggesting the same solutions once more.

How does the computer behave if you use only open source drivers?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This one is the most helpful, as there is a reply with more info....
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1786836

No, it doesn't behave with just open source drivers. It won't shut down at all (freezes during shut-down). The only solution is to hold the power button until it turns off, which clearly is not ideal!

Is there a way to find out what it is that's causing the freeze?
    And, my second question is - if it turns out to be the graphics cards with inadequate drivers, is there a way round that?

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Re: DV6 laptop issue

power off 'the hard way' as a last resort, when really nothing works anymore, can damage your computer.
    with some distro's you can find out whether they work at all, is by using a live version; some distro's won't even boot, but ctrl-alt-del then still works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Indeed! Hence the reason I'm using Windows at the moment...
    ...which is damaging my sanity.
    Last edited by walding; September 19th, 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: DV6 laptop issue

just to keep you from going insane: you could try pardus 2011.1 for the time being (multi boot).

it runs remarkably well on this particular hp dv6 series (uses the intel chipset and disregards the ati card, still works like a charm, though).
    even the wireless card works out of the box...

tried to fire up my ubuntu 11.04 installation in order to test something, but alas, as usual the computer went straight to zero kelvin.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thx. Perhaps it's about time I tried another Distro. I tried so many pre-2006, but settled on Ubuntu.
    I was hoping to do video editing on this, so would still prefer it to use both cards!
    A

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Trying various distros is always a good idea.

If you want more help on the graphics drivers for Ubuntu, this thread is worth reading:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What if you shutdown from the menus rather than using the power button?

What if you type "sudo shutdown now" at a terminal prompt?

Beans

HP DV-6 3043-tx

Hi,
    I bought a HP DV6 3043TX an year ago. I very recently installed ubuntu 10.10 32 bit on it. So I'm a newbie at this stuff. In windows, there is a functionality called the Switchable graphics using which I could switch between HD 5650 and Intel HD. After I installed ubuntu, additional drivers for ATI were asked for, which I clicked activate in the additional drivers menu. The computer wouldnt boot at all into the gnome-desktop at all after that. So I removed the X11 configuration files and restarted it and it worked well.

Now when I try to the Visual effects in the appearance menu to Normal or high, it is reverting to none. I've installed Compiz hoping that it would help, but it didnt. What should I do to get these right and fixed?Can you please help me out in these two regards?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast