Thread: How delete entry in Gnome 2 Places Menu?

Beans

How delete entry in Gnome 2 Places Menu?

On Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome 2, how does one remove an entry from the Places menu? The Admin/Preferences/"Edit Main Menu" doesn't seem to know about the Places menu which seems to be symlinks to mount points and selected dirs on the filesystem. I can't find where the data for this menu is, so that I could edit a dir or config file.

Any hints? Which hidden dir can I munge. I assume that the stuff is on files I own.
    Last edited by bsalem; September 18th, 2011 at 06:21 AM.

Beans

Re: How delete entry in Gnome 2 Places Menu?

Browse computer from Places menu. On the sidepan, you see places menu. On right click, you have an option to remove Directories like Documents, Music, Pictures etc. and also the bookmarks you created.

Beans

Re: How delete entry in Gnome 2 Places Menu?

Quote Originally Posted by anshulfy View Post
    Browse computer from Places menu. On the sidepan, you see places menu. On right click, you have an option to remove Directories like Documents, Music, Pictures etc. and also the bookmarks you created.
    I've got the same issue. Have entries under "Places" for network connections which no longer exist.
    I can't find a "sidepan" when browsing the computer. Only the files and folders I normally see in Nautilus. There's no link or icon that represents these outdated connections or Documents, Music ect.
    Menu editor does not show them. I'll start searching from the terminal by -name and maybe find
    something that points me to where they are .
    Surprised this is not a "right click - delete" operation.

Beans

Re: How delete entry in Gnome 2 Places Menu? - found it.

Go to Places-Home Folder. When Nautilus opens and you see the files/folders go to the
    top menu bar and select Bookmarks - Edit Bookmarks. Scroll down to the items you want
    to take off the places menu, Delete.
    I had no trouble removing Music, Videos , Documents from the Places menu.