Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemur White Screen of Death

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Lemur White Screen of Death

I have a Lemur ultra light purchased last March. I have had issues with using hdmi but after some updates i have been able to get hdmi with 2nd screen to work.

Problem: the laptop monitor is completely white. Its white when laptop is turned on. Meaning, the bios doesnt display.

How: Useually the monitor starts flickering white and evenually turns all white

I initially thought it was a heat issue so bought a laptop cooler with fan. That dropped the cpu temp by 10C but problem still pursist.

The only way to "fix" the white screen issue is to boot with hdmi connected to an external monitor. Waiting a few hours doesnt fix the problem either which leads me to think its not a heat issue but rather a bios or hardware issue.

I currently dont have an external monitor as i am typing this on my cell.

Help

UPDATE: The LCD cable was partially connected, I was able to connect it and the problem has been resolved.
    Last edited by Conzar; September 20th, 2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: solved problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lemur White Screen of Death

This sounds like a problem with either the LCD inverter cable, or the LCD itself. If it was purchased last March, then either repair will be covered under warranty. Go ahead and send us an email at support...at...system76...dot...com
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    This sounds like a problem with either the LCD inverter cable, or the LCD itself. If it was purchased last March, then either repair will be covered under warranty. Go ahead and send us an email at support...at...system76...dot...com
    You are correct. After removing the keyboard, I found that the LCD cable was loose at one end. It must be from all the traveling that I it has been through the past 2 months.

Thank you for your help. I was able to fix the problem!

Beans

i have run into this same problem with my lemur2 and reconnecting the inverter cable under the keyboard did not resolve it. Is there another connection in the lcd like that under the keyboard? I am out of the country so sending the laptop for repair is not an option at the moment.

I can say that on boot it blinks off then on with the white screen it gets to the login screen as i can tell by the sounds it makes if i hit the wrong key.

please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by marxistvegan View Post
    i have run into this same problem with my lemur2 and reconnecting the inverter cable under the keyboard did not resolve it. Is there another connection in the lcd like that under the keyboard? I am out of the country so sending the laptop for repair is not an option at the moment.

I can say that on boot it blinks off then on with the white screen it gets to the login screen as i can tell by the sounds it makes if i hit the wrong key.

please help.
    This definitely sounds like a hardware problem. Can you send us an email at support...at...system76...dot...com
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Lemur White Screen of Death

Thank you for posting this. I purchased a lemur about two years ago and have had this problem (flickering screen; a freeze with a slow spread of grey/white death from the upper right hand corner until it takes over the entire screen) for about eighteen months. I can get the screen to display sometimes back if I manipulate the angle of the screen.

Can you tell me what the LCD cable is? Is this something that I can fix myself? If not, do I have to send it somewhere or can I get it done locally?

Beans

The following instructions shows what I did to fix the problem. Note, you need to first remove the keyboard.

Instructions
    • flip the laptop bottom up
    • remove the screws on the bottom
    • flip the laptop face up and open lid
    • slide keyboard out
    • look for a ribbon cable
    • once found, make sure cable is security in the socket

Hope that helps.

Beans

Thank you!

By remove the keyboard, do you mean pop all the keys off?

Beans

The keyboard is mounted on a tray. The tray is affixed to the laptop via screws (accessed from the bottom of the laptop) and tabs. You need to remove the screws and slide the tray off the laptop (the tabs need to be removed from the slots - be-careful not to break them).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    The keyboard is mounted on a tray. The tray is affixed to the laptop via screws (accessed from the bottom of the laptop) and tabs. You need to remove the screws and slide the tray off the laptop (the tabs need to be removed from the slots - be-careful not to break them).
    Just a note - The only screen you'll need to remove to get the keyboard off is the one near the center with a keyboard icon near it. You shouldn't remove the other screws.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast