Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help recovering Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Need help recovering Windows

Ok, I got the disc burned and everything, but I don't know how to boot it. It doesn't seem to do anything in Ubuntu, I can't make it run, I can just look at what's in it, there are some odd files, but nothing that looks like a run prompt. When I start the computer, I don't believe there's any option to start up whatever's on the disk.

It's for Windows, but seeing as I can't get into windows...what do?
    I am what I am because of who we all are

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe you downloaded an iso file and burned it to cd, right?

If so, reboot and go into the bios. You'll see a prompt quickly after the system starts to come up telling you to press an F key to access bios. You can access a menu in bios that will allow you to select what device should be first in the boot preference order. Set that to the cd. You might also see a prompt for a boot menu when the system first starts to come up. That lets you select a specific device such as the cd to boot from just for that boot episode. On my laptop the boot menu is F12.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I got it working and can get into partition wizard and I see everything, the partition for windows is there and seems healthy, just booting it won't work, but now...what do I do to fix it?

You guys talked about dynamic disks or something and I need to convert it back. I didn't really see anything talking about dynamic stuff except one tab saying something about dynamic, but all the stuff in it was greyed out and didn't seem to apply to any of the partitions I had. The Windows partitions are "Primary", and the Ubuntu ones are "Logical", do I need to change the windows partitions to logical? There was an option for that.

I feel so close, yet so far away. Thanks to all for your patience. Just right now I don't know what I need to do to fix it, so I'm kinda stuck.

Just backing up, I have the partitions and all the files but can't boot into it. So I need to convert the partitions to something bootable, right? Or do I need to fix the devices, like sda2?

Beans
    Distro

I've never needed to do what you are needing to do but I looked at their site for instruction on doing this. http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/...asic-disk.html

Does this page or the video at the bottom of it help?
    Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windows has to be a primary partition, formated NTFS and the bootable copy of Windows has to have the boot flag. Do not change any of that.

Not sure how others used the software to convert.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I think I may have found something related to the problem. on each of the ntfs partitions, I could choose the options "set as windows boot", or something like that. I assume that means they aren't currently set as the boot. However, choosing this option for both them returns an error: "could not detect windows directory" or "no windows directory", or something of that nature.

Trying to boot into them tells me a device is inaccessible.

So...I have a problem with sda2 or sda3, or my windows directory is not there? Don't know what to make of the information.

Is grub just not calling up the right thing?
    Last edited by Triblaze; September 18th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hold up there a minute cowboy! I thought you had determined the files are in your windows partitions. What happened to the trying to convert the partitions?
    Jim

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    Hold up there a minute cowboy! I thought you had determined the files are in your windows partitions. What happened to the trying to convert the partitions?
    That's just it, I don't know what I'm trying to convert them to! They're not dynamic, they're set to primary as they should be, but it seems they aren't set as bootable.

Or do you think I'm trying to recover my files? I have nothing on there. I just want to get windows working again so I can game on it, and so it's there in case I ever need it.

When I say files, I mean the windows filesystem and all the os stuff is there. I haven't added any of my personal stuff.

Beans
    Distro

If the disc is not dynamic it is basic, not primary. Basic disk partitions are primary, extended (also primary) or logical. So partition wizard shows nothing as dynamic? It give you no option as shown on the link I included to convert the disk? Please answer that as I go back to what the other guys have said in the event these partitions aren't dynamic.
    Jim

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    If the disc is not dynamic it is basic, not primary. Basic disk partitions are primary, extended (also primary) or logical. So partition wizard shows nothing as dynamic? It give you no option as shown on the link I included to convert the disk? Please answer that as I go back to what the other guys have said in the event these partitions aren't dynamic.
    It says the disk (and thus everything in it, I assume), is basic.

The windows partitions are primary, the linux partitions are logical.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast