Thread: Broadcom 4322 wireless card driver

Beans

Broadcom 4322 wireless card driver

Hey guys,

I am just now learning the ropes in linux, trying to figure out even the simplest of tasks, and in this case i am trying to install drivers for the broadcom wirless card detected with lshw below:

*-network
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0
    resources: irq:17 memory:f6cfc000-f6cfffff

I downloaded the 64 bit driver from this site : http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

My issue now (assuming that is the correct driver) is that i am not sure how to use the tar.gz file as i am used to the pre-compiled .exe's in windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated and keep in mind that i am very new in your explanation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Broadcom 4322 wireless card driver

Have you tried using the menu bar on the top panel?
    System > Adminstration > Hardware drivers clicking on that gets me the Broadcom drivers I need and installs them - no other intervention on my part.
    Worth a try if not already done?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

broadcom drivers are included in the software packages already (USC or synaptic) find which one is the right one and install
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=44
    Last edited by gandaran; September 17th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.

Beans

Hi and welcome to ubuntu . I might be able to help you out here . I had similar problems with my broadcom adapter . Here's what I did :

Note : These instructions work for ubuntu 10.04 LTS and broadcom 43xx packages . They may or may not work for you . Use at your own risk .

You will have to install b43-fwcutter and patch packages. After that you will need to setup firmware manually (without the firmware automatically downloading and being set up).

b43-fwcutter is located on the Ubuntu install cd under ../pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/ and patch is located under ../pool/main/p/patch/ or both in the official repositories online.

Double click on the package to install or in a terminal navigate to the folder containing the package and issue the following command:

:/b43-fwcutter/$ sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter*

Step 1.

On a computer with Internet access, download the required firmware files from http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...a-3.130.20.0.o and http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/b...0.10.5.tar.bz2

Step 2.

Copy the downloaded files to your home folder and execute the following commands consecutively in a terminal to extract and install the firmware:

~$ tar xfvj broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    ~$ sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
    ~$ sudo b43-fwcutter --unsupported -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mimo.o

Note: A computer restart may be required before using the wifi card.

Hope this helps ..

Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    Have you tried using the menu bar on the top panel?
    System > Adminstration > Hardware drivers clicking on that gets me the Broadcom drivers I need and installs them - no other intervention on my part.
    Worth a try if not already done?
    This worked perfectly! thanks a lot! and thank you all for the other posts you put up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're welcome! Glad it helped.