Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What other Ubuntu 10-style distros do people recommend.

Beans

Angry What other Ubuntu 10-style distros do people recommend.

This is sort of a monumental moment for me.

It started with Amiga 500 for me in the early 90's.
    Back in the late 90s, I used FreeBSD.
    In the early 2000s, I switched to Debian Woody
    A few years back, I switched to Ubuntu 7 (or was it 8).

I just installed Ubuntu 11 and came across the most awkward user interface I have seen since I bought my Eee PC 901 Linux edition(which was actually sort of usable). I hosed the operating system trying to remove unity and now I no longer have keyboard or mouse support. I never could find the terminal application.

I haven't played with installing distros, so I am out of the loop with what is out there. I am also too busy to experiment. So my question is, where are people going to now that Ubuntu 11 is out? I sure don't want to stay here any longer. I want to work with the linux I have always known, not some interface that is pretending to be a cell phone.

Tim Legg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What other Ubuntu 10-style distros do people recommend.

Hi, you could try xubuntu it is a nice operating system.

However 11.04 can be customized to look and work well but it takes a little time, ubuntu had no choice but to change because gnome2 is no longer supported and gnome3 is much like unity.

If you want help to fix unity we are here just ask.
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

the glorious thing is, Linux is quite stable and secure in and of itself. you CAN continue to use 10.10 for years after LTS is up. the other side of the coin is the "classic interface." which I'm told works similar to gnome 2. However, 10.10 got its layout due to gnome 2, which, as stated is no longer supported.

I've heard rumor that Linux Mint has said they are staying with gnome 2, through out all of this. however; I tried LM and I'm back here. it is an Ubuntu derivative. but the gnome 2 they use is somewhere between KDE and gnome 2 in look and feel.

Ultimately I'm hoping for a gnome 3 to gnome 2 conversion kit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Synoc View Post

Ultimately I'm hoping for a gnome 3 to gnome 2 conversion kit.
    Yeah, that would be nice. Of all the distros I have used, I had the most fun with Ubuntu and the forums, support are top notch. I never have to post questions on ubuntuforums because the information available here is so vast. By the time I have a question, I just simply assume that somebody else asked it already and then I go searching for the answer

I hope 10.10 doesn't become obsolete too soon as I still use that on my other machines.

I just downloaded the install ISO for kubuntu. I hope they aren't the next ones to jump on the lets-make-linux-look-like-a-famous-brand-tablet-pc bandwagon.

When I commit to a distro, I like to stay with them. In this case, Ubuntu has left me. They changed radically without giving me an easy way out.

I couldn't find the "classic mode" switch that I had heard about. I read on a blog elsewhere that you simply remove the unity package. I did find the package installer tool they are using now and removed unity. I lost the use of both keyboard and mouse after I did that, so I probably will have to reinstall. So I will most likely install something interesting...

Tim Legg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you would like to stay close to Ubuntu, I would recommend Linux Mint 11. This is Ubuntu 11.04 with gnome 2.x, and with the restricted extras already installed. In general, I find it to be a bit more friendly and easy to get set up the way I want it than plain Ubuntu - Kind of like Ubuntu with the rough edges smoothed out. For some reason Mint seems to me to be quite a bit easier to get set up on a mixed Linux/Windows local area network.

Some versions of Mint in the past didn't impress me much but I like versions 9, 10, and 11. Mint 12 (late this year) will probably have gnome 3.x.

Jerry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Legg View Post
    Of all the distros I have used, I had the most fun with Ubuntu and the forums, support are top notch.
    Amen!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am hoping for a classic mode in the next release of Gnome!
    Bring Chrome to the Software Center. Now.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1186564

Beans

I suggest Zorin OS 4 (Ubuntu 10.10). I just reinstalled it today. I always end up coming back to 10.10 in one form or the other.

Beans

I'd suggest Linux Mint or just install Debian and use GNOME 2.x.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

http://www.elementaryos.org is a light, fast, stable variant of 10.10 that also looks great.

Xubuntu uses XFCE as its DE and is generally pretty light and customizable, although the UI by default is not quite so pretty as Gnome2/3/Unity/Windows/Mac.
    Really, on the one day I don't have an operating system in my pocket?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast