Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What other Ubuntu 10-style distros do people recommend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What other Ubuntu 10-style distros do people recommend.

can someone help me out a bit? can classic mode be used to mimic gnome 2x easily? or do some things from gnome 2x just not work with classic mode? and can someone put up a screen shot of what it looks like as an interface, so we can get a good look and see if it smooths over the rough edges? I personally am not a fan of gnome 3 or Unity. I admit to being resistant to change, but I'm also a fan of "if it's not broke, don't fix it" and gnome 2 just rocks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am running 11.04 in Classic mode and it runs Gnome 2.32.

So nothing has changed/borked.

Didn't give 11.10 a try yet, though I am going to install the beta very soon.

As for a screenshot, well... Picture any version between 10.04 and 11.04, they all look pretty much the same
    Shamelessly plugging my GLog! (GeekLog) in every post I can
    If your problem is solved, please do take the time to mention it and Mark the Thread as Solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, classic looks just like gnome2, I believe the only difference is that you can not right click on customize the top panel, but I have not used it since I first installed 11.04.

You can customize unity, like I have a custom dock at the bottom, of the screen with gnome2 application menu on it, and I have the left launcher set to hidden, here is a screenshot of that.

Gnome2 will be gone soon so we have to adapt of course you can switch to xubuntu or something like that, I am just trying to give you options that I know about.

I am sorry I am not able to post a screenshot of classic.
    Thank you
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 10th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm more concerned with this post...

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ope...ktop-wins/2291
    cosmetics are irrelevant, I care about functionality

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, exactly what I was showing you if you look at my dock and the app menu on it you will notice that everything I need is right there.
    Thank you

Beans

Well, I finally updated or at least tried going to Ubuntu 11.x but the darn thing kept freezing not to mention I really now hate the fact that you can't find things or they're much more hidden in 11.10. And yes I tried using it more than 10 minutes on both a desktop and laptop and did find the classic mode, but still was quite a bit away from where I normally like it. So I went looking for a replacement of sort for the new Ubuntu. So I will second the person who suggested Zorin OS. If you like the Gnome, this one works great and well, you check it out. I already installed this on my two machines and there's no way in hell I'm using that Unity. That should be left for maybe a tablet, but even then I just hate it myself. So check this one out and you'll be back up and running without having to re-install some of the programs like gimp. Its' already installed which is nice since I kept having to do this every time with the new Ubuntu releases.
    And if you like windows, the switcher they have on it is really neat. Of course this is Ubuntu/Debian based so you're not going too far, just going back to something that may be older, but hell it's simple and just works and it's what I like myself. But this is only my own opinion, you're free to do whatever you like. Now I'm happy again. Honestly I'm hating all this app look a like screens. There's a limit to everything, please stop making everything look like that.
    http://zorin-os.com/index.html
    Last edited by jaime256; October 15th, 2011 at 12:41 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123