Thread: Games and Technology in the Classroom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Games and Technology in the Classroom

Hey forum,

I've been frustratingly bored in my educational technologies class, but hopefully this will come to an end. My professor has offered me a chance to showcase some technology that can be applied in the classroom.

I've been talking with some of my friends and i've decided i want to do something related to video games. I'm looking for games which can teach a concept or develop a skill in the K-12 classrooms. For example,

Game: Not Tetris 2
    Grade: 9th grade
    Valuable concepts: teaches about properties of momentum and inertia.
    Link: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/t...ourself-linux/

In case you're wondering, a lot of the people in the classroom have little experience with computers and others are comfortable checking their email and facebook. So if things go well, i can expose people to a new world of software that can be implemented in the classroom. This is our chance to shine basically.

Beans

Re: Games and Technology in the Classroom

The first game that comes to my mind that has anything to do with physics would be neverball. It's kind of like a FOSS version of super monkey ball. Wouldn't really consider it educational though. Another option might be globulation2 for an example of AI development. The only other thing I can think of would be instead of showing an educational game possibly showing programming and the source code of a video game. It would be incredibly easy to show the source code of some game and then compile it into a playable game.
    Last edited by donkyhotay; September 17th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro

The games don't have to be explicitly eduational or have to do with physics. I plan on showing off a text based adventure, which would help students develop literacy skills. This would be helpful especially since in my state, California, there are a lot of English language learners. Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, DrDos2006
    I was worried at first when i checked the education section and only found 1 game, but i found a few more. I'll list them here.

Game: Liquid War
    Valuable concepts: Teaches about different states of matter liquid, solid, gas

Game: 0 a.d.
    Valuable concepts: gives insight into ancient history

Game: powder toy
    Valuable concepts: revolves around air pressure, velocity, and heat

Game: Triple A
    Valuable concepts: teaches about alliances during World War II. (i think)

I've also some games on Steam that might be valuable,

Game: And Yet it Moves
    Valuable concepts: more physics (inertia, momentum)

Game: Osmos
    Valuable Concepts: Gravity, Mass and orbits

Game: Portal
    Valuable Concepts: Velocity, momentum, inertia, thinking with portals (har har) (possibly impairment of ability with negative feedback)

Game: World of Goo
    Valuable Concepts: more physics

Some console games,

Game: Wii Sports
    Valuable Concepts: hand eye coordination and muscle memory (especially useful for those with physical disabilities)

Game: Wii Fit
    Valuable Concepts: Same as above

As you can see, there's a lot of physics games, however i would like to focus on the social sciences, world and U.S. history, U.S. government, economics, and geography.

Is there any games with a heavy emphasis on trading?