Thread: New Hard Disk Error ( partition table is bad )

Beans

New Hard Disk Error ( partition table is bad )

I just bought a new hard disk ( western digital 750GB )
    and when I opened partition magic 8 on windows 7 it tells me "partition table is bad " then the partition magic stops

I tried formatting it through ubuntu but it failed with this error
    Code:
    Error creating file system: helper exited with exit code 1: Error calling fsync(2) on /dev/sdb: Input/output error

I don't know what to do , windows cannot read or view the hard disk and same things with ubuntu .. please help

Thanks in Advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: New Hard Disk Error ( partition table is bad )

Input/output error: sounds to me like the drive's physical connections may be a little loose, or the motherboard doesn't recognize the hard drive (which does happen from time to time). Check with your motherboard's documentation to check that angle, and make sure that all of the cables are securely connected.

Also, though I have never experienced this myself, while building computers, it is best to do so with a grounding wrist strap so you don't fry your hardware. Though this is a remote possibility, it IS a possibility. Also, try turning on your computer with the case open and see if you can hear the hd making any startup sounds. If it's solid state, this will obviously not happen, but if it's a traditional hard drive, it will probably make some noise. If it does not, you may have a faulty drive.

Beans

Re: New Hard Disk Error ( partition table is bad )

Quote Originally Posted by nickleboyblue View Post
    Input/output error: sounds to me like the drive's physical connections may be a little loose, or the motherboard doesn't recognize the hard drive (which does happen from time to time). Check with your motherboard's documentation to check that angle, and make sure that all of the cables are securely connected.

Also, though I have never experienced this myself, while building computers, it is best to do so with a grounding wrist strap so you don't fry your hardware. Though this is a remote possibility, it IS a possibility. Also, try turning on your computer with the case open and see if you can hear the hd making any startup sounds. If it's solid state, this will obviously not happen, but if it's a traditional hard drive, it will probably make some noise. If it does not, you may have a faulty drive.
    your right , I even tried to 0 fill it and it gave me ETA 406 hours ! :s lol

I just replaced it with another one

thank you