Thread: internet too slow to stand and no fix yet has worked.

Beans

internet too slow to stand and no fix yet has worked.

I just got a fujitsu laptop for 300$ http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62616&...acture=Fujitsu I was planning on running ubuntu linux on it (or mint) and it has a strange problem where the internet is slow as heck. I remember now that last time I installed on my desktop it was slow as well so it is not just my laptop. Basically in windows and I download something huge it will download at 2 megabytes per second or so but in ubuntu when I am downloading something i get 60kb/s which is ridiculously slow. I was about to give up but my friend keeps telling me to post on the forums so I am here now hoping someone can find the answer to my misery.

regardless of weather i am wired or wireless the intnernet is about the same speed (in fact it seems about 20kb/s faster when I am using wireless).

I am running ubuntu 64bit 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: internet too slow to stand and no fix yet has worked.

Let's pick one interface at a time, either wired or wireless. Since wired LAN issues are usually less complicated, I'd suggest to pick it first. Then, when it gets resolved (or if we give up on it ) we can pick the wireless one.

So, in order to find the answer to your misery , we need details which the outputs of the following commands may provide:
    [Note: Do some browsing first for a couple of minutes, then enter these commands in a terminal one-by-one]
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network

ifconfig -a

cat /etc/resolv.conf

ping google.com
    (or any site which appears painfully slow in comparison to windows)
    Wrap each set of output in [ code] and [ /code] tags as described here for better readability.

Also, how do you connect to internet? If it is an adsl modem/router, which brand and model? There have been some models whose firmwares had been reported to cause problems with linux kernel in the past.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Re: internet too slow to stand and no fix yet has worked.

alright well I uninstalled ubuntu on this machine because it took forever to get a response from someone and I think I am goingto reinstall itthis weekend and try this out.

as for the router its a cisco linksys (forget the model number) its the 80$ wireless N router.

I find a lot of people having problems with this atheros card though thats in my laptop and no other fix has worked yet. its very bothersome because I _REALLY_ want to use ubuntu on this laptop (75% of the reason I got it) and with no internet it is virtually useless.