Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

Good that it worked, Dajare.

I forgot to mention this page, which gives a good foundation for experimenting with light/customised installations:
    http://andyduffell.com/techblog/?p=689

A beginner shouldn't be afraid, just because we are dealing with a script. It is easy to read through and see what it does.

It is for Buntus in general and not only for Lubuntu, but I guess it is all right that we also help the other distros
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am loving Lubuntu 11.10 on my laptop, but one thing I can't work out for myself, is how to start conky automatically ? I am a little confused whether to follow openbox or lxde instructions.
    I have tried adding a autostart.sh to.config/openbox, that didn't work

A few other questions -

When you put a Music CD in it says it is a 'Removable medium is inserted' how do you change this ?

How do you put favourite apps, like Sylpheed, on the panel. I worked this out you use panel Preferences then edit App

Thank you for this lovely OS.
    Last edited by Rodney9; October 25th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    I am loving Lubuntu 11.10 on my laptop
    Thank you for your love, please keep it coming

how to start conky automatically ? I am a little confused whether to follow openbox or lxde instructions.
    I have tried adding a autostart.sh to.config/openbox, that didn't work
    Have you tried this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu..._in_to_Desktop

When you put a Music CD in it says it is a 'Removable medium is inserted' how do you change this ?
    From PCManFM
    Edit > Preferences > Volume Management Tab

How do you put favourite apps, like Sylpheed, on the panel. I worked this out you use panel Preferences then edit App
    You mean something like this:

I do have two panels by the way and the one you see above is my top panel.

Thank you for this lovely OS.
    And thank you for using it and loving it. I'm glad that many are in real love with Lubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    And thank you for using it and loving it. I'm glad that many are in real love with Lubuntu
    I'm still using it and very pleased with it!

Never seen this old Acer Aspire netbook running so well.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your love, please keep it coming
    I thought the L in Lubuntu was for Love

From PCManFM
    Edit > Preferences > Volume Management Tab

My preferences are set the same but still a store bought pre-recorded music CD still wants to be opened in the file manager which it fails with a error or wants to be burnt with xfburn. Can't you set to auto play ? At least Audacious sees it and can play it.

Another question, is there a way to change the wallpaper every 30 mins or 5 or every hour ? I have tried Wally, DesktopNova, Wallch in Xubuntu and none work, I am hoping with Lubuntu it will be simple.

Then one more question, if I may, I saw in one of your posts that you are using 11.04, why not 11.10 and do they look the same ?
    I am thinking of putting Lubuntu 11.10 64bit on my desktop as well, so I would be interested to hear your opinions on 11.04 and 11.10

Thank you for your help, you're top panel looks fantastic how did you do that, is it Cairo ?

Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney9; October 26th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for this useful thread! Bookmarked it.
    I'm using LUbuntu 64 bit in my big machine since Natty, and I like to find places with related info like this.

Other than myself, quite some of my gnu-linux friends prefer it simple and light, rather than the way gnome3 and unity are evolving. So I think there's a nice place awaiting for LXDE (&XFCE) Ubuntu in the next future.

Best
    JC
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans

Question Re: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

I'll be testing Lubuntu from a live USB, but I do have one concern. It seems that lxde.org, the main site for the LXDE desktop environment, is offline. Where does one go to find documentation for LXDE?

Thanks...

JGB
    "What's going to happen?" "Something... wonderful" -- 2010

Beans
    Distro

I found this page, thanks to Gaygerbil
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post11396713
    for a script to change the wallpaper periodically

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    I thought the L in Lubuntu was for Love
    Why shouldn't it? I guess it's
    It depends on who you see it or want it to be. Everything is possible in Linux, just set your mind free and dream bigger.

My preferences are set the same but still a store bought pre-recorded music CD still wants to be opened in the file manager which it fails with a error or wants to be burnt with xfburn. Can't you set to auto play ? At least Audacious sees it and can play it.
    I honestly didn't get time to test that but I sure will do hopefully soon, I'm just having lots of issues here that I must deal with, sorry.

Another question, is there a way to change the wallpaper every 30 mins or 5 or every hour ? I have tried Wally, DesktopNova, Wallch in Xubuntu and none work, I am hoping with Lubuntu it will be simple.
    Windows Stuff, eh?
    Well, don't know if any but I see you found one approach to do that

Then one more question, if I may, I saw in one of your posts that you are using 11.04, why not 11.10 and do they look the same ?
    Yes. I'm using 11.04 just because I don't need to use the new one
    I've tested 11.10 and I know what are the differences that I came across myself so I don't really have to use it. However, I have it installed on 4GB USB Drive so in case someone asks about 11.10, I can use that to help him. Funny I don't have time to myself. My whole time is dedicated to Lubuntu and this forum so I'm having tests machines here for that purpose

The default system is newer and at some point with different options. For example, Power-Management package in 11.10 is xfce not gnome. Default look is different. More themes, 6 new wallpapers, etc.
    Check the release notes it's on page one, I think section D?

I am thinking of putting Lubuntu 11.10 64bit on my desktop as well, so I would be interested to hear your opinions on 11.04 and 11.10
    Both are great. I've been using Lubutnu since 10.04 and I can confirm there is a huge difference in everything. It's getting better after each release. I'm just happy with 11.04 and I see no point to use the new one. I'm using the new only for my tests, writing guides and helping others. I'm involved in testing, writing guides, wiki and forum support.

Go ahead and use the latest. However, sometimes, even the latest releases won't work perfectly well on your hardware so you may need to use an older but supported version. I have come across a case where the user have problem with all Ubuntu variant 11.10 while he has no issues with 11.04. Depends.

Thank you for your help, you're top panel looks fantastic how did you do that, is it Cairo ?
    You most welcome and thanks for your nice words.
    No, I don't use Cairo-Dock. I have set that panel after I watched that screencast (setup two panels). You can find it on the Screencast link on the first post.
    It's very easy and straight forward

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jgb2185 View Post
    I'll be testing Lubuntu from a live USB, but I do have one concern. It seems that lxde.org, the main site for the LXDE desktop environment, is offline. Where does one go to find documentation for LXDE?

Thanks...

JGB
    Yes, the website is down for now. I confirm that.

You don't really need much from there. All the information you're looking for, you'll find them on the first post of this thread. That's why I made it

After all, if you need anything, please let me know. You can also show up on the IRC channel and ask the team.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast