Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JC Cheloven View Post
    Thanks for this useful thread! Bookmarked it.
    I'm using LUbuntu 64 bit in my big machine since Natty, and I like to find places with related info like this.

Other than myself, quite some of my gnu-linux friends prefer it simple and light, rather than the way gnome3 and unity are evolving. So I think there's a nice place awaiting for LXDE (&XFCE) Ubuntu in the next future.

Best
    JC
    Thank you JC for your nice words, appreciate that. I'm glad that you found what you were looking for. I made this thread because, me as a user, I need something like that so I have to think about others too

Yes. I'm one of those who prefer to keep it simple, short, light and easy. All that I found in Lubutnu so I just love it.

Send the link to your friend (this thread) and ask them to join the unofficial page on facebook and the official page too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Loving my Lubuntu 11.10 64Bit
    It's Fast
    It's so simple to tweak
    With Chromium running 1% CPU
    It looks beautiful at first install, than you can make it look however you want
    So easy to Install, takes less than 20 minutes
    It starts up and shuts down so quickly
    I added lubuntu-resticted-extras, now you can play anything
    The video instructions for just about everything are so easy to follow - http://www.lubuntu.ru/wiki/doku.php?...to;screencasts
    You really can turn this into anything, a multimedia suite, graphic/video design /editor and because the base uses so little resources you have bulk of your ram and CPU to work your software to the max.
    As Amjjawad said
    Everything is possible in Linux, just set your mind free and dream bigger.
    and what an amazing supporter of Lubuntu is Amjjawad plus a huge help to us users.

Did I mention HOW FAST LUBUNTU IS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Your desktop simple ROCKS, Rodney

Thank you yet again for using "L"ubuntu with Love and thanks for this simple but great introduction about it.

I actually feel bad that I can't do more to Lubuntu. I'm trying to think how can I do more and give more? I have many guides in mind that I need to find some time to write but helping people comes first ... have to find time

I see you managed to create another LXPanel it's amazing!
    Conky looks great too

By the way, you can install icons and stuff like: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/04/f...breoffice.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

And now, Lubuntu One Stop Thread on the Wiki Pages: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu

Enjoy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

How To Try Lubuntu without Installation - Run Lubuntu from the Live CD

Introduction

There is an known bug which is unfortunately effecting many releases so far. However, I noticed with the final release (11.10) that his problem fade away once you use Live-USB.

Whether you'll face that problem or not, I'm going to write a simple and short guide to help everyone to avoid it and have some workaround to get to the Live-Desktop of Lubuntu and try it without installation.

Workaround

1- Boot your machine from the Live-CD

2- On this screen, choose your language:

3- On this screen, the default option is "Try Lubuntu without installation". Please skip to the second option which is "Install Lubuntu"

4- After some time, you'll see a Desktop with only one screen

Please, click Quit then confirm with Quit.

After that, you'll get the Live Desktop with the icon of Install Lubuntu.

5- After you finish your test and if everything will work for you, you can start the installation again:

Enjoy

P.S.
    Release Notes = Updated
    Wiki Page = Updated
    Installation Guide = Updated
    Last edited by amjjawad; October 27th, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

And for those who can't wait, there you go

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870442

Beans

Hi
    I am running Lubuntu 11.10 on my 2nd laptop - a Toshiba Satellite l30-101 with a 1.4Ghz celeron and a whopping 431MB of RAM.
    It runs really well, very snappy. Faster than Ubuntu/Xubuntu/XP any day.

I have compiz running smoothly, my printer is working, my wireless is working, my webcam is working, my scanner is working and I can access my other windows machines files.

I really like Lubuntu - I have tried quite a few different flavours of linux and this one seems to be the best on this laptop.

I think that this One Stop Thread is a great idea.

Can I make a few suggestions?

1) The link to the Lubuntu website on the first post on the thread is wrong - it links to http://ubuntuforums.org/www.lubuntu.net
    when it should be just
    http://www.lubuntu.net

2) Some of the 'solved thread' links are actually a bit hard to follow. The one on 'how to enable compositing' gets a bit confusing.
    Wouldn't it be better to rewrite these specifically as a 'how to' and link to that from the front page.

3) Would it be good to include 'how to' pages for general Linux things but with a lubuntu slant?
    Examples:

* access windows shared files. This drove me insane in Lubuntu as I could see the files in 'network drives' fine but nothing would open properly by clicking on it. Things changes radically once I had installed 'gigolo' to mount the smb directories

* install medibuntu packages so DVDs play etc

* install/build madwifi (something I need to do as ath5k just doesn't cut it with my wireless card)

* how to set up compiz - another thing that bent my brain.
    Changing the window manager in 'desktop session settings' does absolutely nothing at all! Finally got it working by changing
    .config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf

This is about the 15th time I have toyed with using Linux and it is about the first time I think I am going to stick with it, primarily because Lubuntu is so good.

I think if we make it as easy as possible for the average computer user to set up their system with Lubuntu, with the ability to do all the things they can do in Windows, the better.

Btw one of the reasons I use compiz is to make the edges of the windows thicker so it isn't so fiddly to resize horizontally. With openbox the window edges are so thin you have to be almost pixel-perfect to grab the edge. Is there a simple work-around for this that doesn't require compiz?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Great work! Sticky it!
    /24.04

Beans

Last edited by jontheid; October 28th, 2011 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thank's for the link and nice words.
    These icons are great
    By the way, you can install icons and stuff like: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/04/f...breoffice.html

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast