Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

Beans

Re: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

It was none other than mörgæs (thanks again!) who prompted me to look at other *buntu distros in order get off Jaunty 9.04 which is what I'm stuck on at the moment.

Later Ubuntus have given me network trouble (why?!); and after waiting expectently for Xubuntu 11.10, I get a serious "random hangs" problem with it. So I tried Lubuntu live disk this morning. Worked all morning with it flawlessly! Hurrah!

I haven't installed it yet (will wait till I have a bit more time for that!), but I would be interested to know about:

- any tips/tricks/issues with installing Wine under Lubuntu? (It's a "must" for me, I'm afraid.)
    - I thought there was a package that provides the "free closed source" things (multi-media, codecs, etc.) in one go, but can't find it now; is this available for Lubuntu?
    - I've used this guide for installing fonts in 9.04 - is there any difference for Lubuntu?

Thanks for this!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by dajare View Post
    - I thought there was a package that provides the "free closed source" things (multi-media, codecs, etc.) in one go, but can't find it now; is this available for Lubuntu?
    Do you mean the restricted extras package? If so, there is one for Lubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ajsoulmate View Post
    In fact, these are more than just good guides.
    Good Job, amjjawad ...
    I wish you always all the best and success
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate that

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lizard View Post
    Good deal! I've got this thread bookmarked.

PS. I like your new Monkey D Luffy avitar.

Bob.
    Thank you so much, I appreciate that

I have added LXDE Logo to that image using Photoshop. I like this one better than the old one. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by xtremo View Post
    I'm bookmarking this one as well as I'm just getting started on Lubuntu!
    Thanks and thanks for choosing and using Lubuntu

One question though!

A critical app for me is the right click Nautilus Image converter using Gnome. Is there anything similar that will work the same way on Lubuntu?
    I haven't installed Nautilus on Lubuntu (LXDE) before because I prefer to keep everything as it's. PCManFM is Light File Manager.

Installing the same package won't help.
    It's either you install Nautilus which will replace PCManFM (not really sure yet how to do that - must search) OR find another application to do that job.

Are you trying just to convert images/pictures from one file type to another? for example convert PNG to JPG? I use "Shotwell" for that. It also has "Crop" feature which I do need a lot.

Edit:
    I have sent an email to PCMan, the author of PCManFM and once I'll get some information, I'll let you know
    Last edited by amjjawad; October 22nd, 2011 at 05:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Good job.
    Thank you so much

Maybe you could add a section with ideas for applications to add after installing? A beginner might find the default ones a little less powerful than what he is used to.

I am thinking of, for example

Libre Office
    Eye of Gnome
    Gedit
    VLC
    Great idea. Added to my To-Do List for this Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Are you trying just to convert images/pictures from one file type to another? for example convert PNG to JPG? I use "Shotwell" for that. It also has "Crop" feature which I do need a lot.
    I'm a web developer and sometimes I'll get a bulk mail of 20 or more pics....all oversized.
    So with Gnome it's a case of save to desktop, highlight pics, right click and resize. Saves me so much time to do it like that rather than taking them into an app individually.

Beans

Smile Re: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

Do you mean the restricted extras package? If so, there is one for Lubuntu!
    Thanks! That's the one - and found it in Synaptic Package manager. This is very promising!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm a web developer and sometimes I'll get a bulk mail of 20 or more pics....all oversized.
    So with Gnome it's a case of save to desktop, highlight pics, right click and resize. Saves me so much time to do it like that rather than taking them into an app individually.
    I see your point. I'm going to ask PCMan himself on the mailing list and hope he or someone else will answer but until then, will this option be helpful?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by dajare View Post
    - any tips/tricks/issues with installing Wine under Lubuntu? (It's a "must" for me, I'm afraid.)
    I never use Wine because I believe each Application must be run on its native environment but that's me
    However, I have installed Wine (testing purposes) on my machine and it should work but because I don't use it, I'm not sure what problems might happen?
    One good way to find out is to give it a try. There is a sub-forum for wine here on UF, I guess?

I think you got the answer already

- I've used this guide for installing fonts in 9.04 - is there any difference for Lubuntu?
    It shouldn't be different.

I found this on LXDE Forum: http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?...14&hilit=fonts

Thanks for this!
    You most welcome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    I see your point. I'm going to ask PCMan himself on the mailing list and hope he or someone else will answer but until then, will this option be helpful?
    Thanks for the link....took a look and it appears you set the size parameters as a permanent thing.
    But in my case the size adjustments will vary so it wouldn't be practical.
    No big problem because all the major work is done on the desktop running 11.04 Gnome 2, and Lubuntu is on the netbook.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast