Thread: Some questions/problems with 11.04 Unity

Beans

Some questions/problems with 11.04 Unity

Hi everyone

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04. The Unity thing is interesting so I'm going to give it a chance and some time and see if I can get used to it. Although there are a few things I definitely need to add and could not get used to working without.

1. First problem is that I can't get CompizConfig Settings Manager to start. It always starts loading, but nothing happens then...
    2. A taskbar, I NEED a taskbar. I can't work with grouped windows.
      I've found the command "nohup gnome-panel" but that also gives this the old upper taskbar (which I don't really need because I can use the Dash) which then overlaps with the window decorations of maximized windows
    3. The speed at which the Dash appears. It always waits like a split second. I would want it to appear immediately and maybe even increase the size of the perimeter at which it appears. How do I change that?
    4. Is it possible to configure the Dash menu itself? For example for the applications I have too look way too long to find the one I want to use. I want to see them in their directories and with the "compact icons". I also don't need to see the "available for download" there at the first click or even the "most frequently used".

Hope you can help me and I hope I wrote this at the right place and these questions haven't been asked too often already.

Many Thanks
    Cheers

Beans

Re: Some questions/problems with 11.04 Unity

Also something I forgot to mention. It seems to be going slower. It takes relatively long to load Ubuntu (in some black screen) and internet seems to be going much slower too. So much even that Firefox sometimes freezes for a second or 2, 3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It sounds like Unity isn't right for you, so I suggest logging in under "Ubuntu Classic", for a more familiar Ubuntu. When you get to where you type in your password after turning your computer on, you should see a box that says "Ubuntu". Just click on it and pick "Ubuntu Classic". It will stay on that until you change it back.

CCSM is a bit of a minefield in Unity because changing some things can break Unity. It tells you when you change something that it will deactivate the Unity plugin or something. But I don't know why it isn't opening for you.

Other things you mentioned can't be customised to my knowledge, but they are getting better defaults in 11.10 so you could try it next month with a live CD.

And I am surprised that the Internet is working slower because the versions of Firefox are better than in 10.10 and earlier. But perhaps you could try a different browser to get around the freezing.

Beans

ok, thanks for the quick answer. I'll use Ubuntu classic then.
    It could also be that it is the graphics of Unity that makes everything slow, I don't have a very good video card. I also kind of used to have this when I used compiz to have this 3D effects for switching between workspaces.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It sounds like Unity isn't right for you, so I suggest logging in under "Ubuntu Classic", for a more familiar Ubuntu. When you get to where you type in your password after turning your computer on, you should see a box that says "Ubuntu". Just click on it and pick "Ubuntu Classic". It will stay on that until you change it back.
    I've been giving Unity another shot for the last half hour. Ever since the third day I used Natty I did exactly what Alwimo suggests, which is to use the good old Gnome desktop. Just a little while ago I decided to try and figure out how to change some of the things you are complaining about and that's how I came across your thread here.
    So now I remember why I haven't used Unity all this time: Because it's not Gnome, and Gnome is better.