Thread: Live Ubuntu pendrive > 4GB, mounting the extra space as /home dir, is it possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Live Ubuntu pendrive > 4GB, mounting the extra space as /home dir, is it possible?

So.
    I have a company PC. - I am not allowed to wipe the XP from it
    I have 16GB pendrive. I split it, I boot without a problem, the second partition is mounted and seen OK.
    I want it mounted on boot as at /home/ , I want to install Civ 5 on it. If the second part of the USB is mounted as USB, it is not allowed to start exe , sh files... So, I cannot install nothing on it. Since the game needs more than 3 GB, I cannot place it on my / partiton.
    Adding the second partition into /etc/fstab, caused the drive not to boot the first time, and after a second try to boot from the USB, the changes were gone
    It all started somewhere here:
    Hello everybody out there using minix -
    I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones...

Beans
    Distro

Re: Live Ubuntu pendrive > 4GB, mounting the extra space as /home dir, is it possible

I guess what you are looking for is a persistent usb drive installation. This article should help

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Beans
    Distro

Re: Live Ubuntu pendrive > 4GB, mounting the extra space as /home dir, is it possible

No. I l can easily make a live USB. Persistent USB cannot have more that 4GB space.
    What I do usually is, if I have an USB lager that 4 GB, I split it into 2 parts. One I use for the actula live USB, the other one is empty - I usually use as normal USB.
    What I want is a way to mount this spare, empty partition on boot at /home/, so I can have more free space...
    I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deckoff View Post
    No. I l can easily make a live USB. Persistent USB cannot have more that 4GB space.
    What I do usually is, if I have an USB lager that 4 GB, I split it into 2 parts. One I use for the actula live USB, the other one is empty - I usually use as normal USB.
    What I want is a way to mount this spare, empty partition on boot at /home/, so I can have more free space...
    System partitions such as /home must be Linux filesystems.

AFAIK there is no reason why a Persistent USB should not use its /etc/fstab file as any "normal" system.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

Is there a way to make a live USB with more than 4GB persistent file?

Is there a way to make a live USB with more than 4GB persistent file? even with bigger USB, I cannot set the persistent file to be bigger than 4GB... I formatted the USB to fat32, have not tried with ext2 or native...

Beans

Re: Is there a way to make a live USB with more than 4GB persistent file?

Quote Originally Posted by deckoff View Post
    Is there a way to make a live USB with more than 4GB persistent file? even with bigger USB, I cannot set the persistent file to be bigger than 4GB... I formatted the USB to fat32, have not tried with ext2 or native...
    it is a limit of Fat32

see here for how to get around it

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/how-to-...-rw-loop-file/

and
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

This explains lots of things, - most probably trying to boot home to a vfat ext forced ubuntu to fall to its default fstab. Will try, report and mark as solved if this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Threads merged.

I think I would have created an ext2 partition for the spare space on the drive, and mounted that with its own entry in fstab. I haven't tried it, but that's the approach I would take.