Thread: .exe files that wine insists are not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

.exe files that wine insists are not?

When I insert a CD, and right click on the setup.exe file, and open it with wine, I get an error saying that "the file (filename) is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit." The phrase "executable bit" is a link to a page with a very long list of instructions. Is there a simple way around this, as all three programs I'm attempting to install are purchased, and have been used for years.
    Last edited by tbdunamis; September 14th, 2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: additional information

Beans

Re: .exe files that wine insists are not?

try to copy the cd contents to your home folder then right click on the .exe file (usually setup.exe / install.exe) -> Properties -> go to Permission tab -> tick "Allow Executing file as program"
    now you can double click the .exe file to install it

hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: .exe files that wine insists are not?

It worked to the extent that it began to load the file. Unfortunately, I got an error during the process of the installation. Evidently, Wine is not compatible with the program. It is a folio views infobase program. Do you, or anyone else know if someone has successfully installed one of them in Wine?