Thread: Leap Frog Connect

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Leap Frog Connect

Has anyone been able to make this work?

I've got everything installed, I can get in an shop if I want - but I want to be able to add more books to the Tag.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Leap Frog Connect

Getting Leapfrog Connect to work on Ubuntu took a bit of finagling, but if you don't go the long way (like I did) it's pretty easy to do.

First of all, wine will not work for Leapfrog Connect.

Step One: Download VirtualBox from the website NOT the Ubuntu software centre
    (different version, only website works with USB).

Step Two: To install you must open a terminal
    cd (directory)
    sudo dpkg -i fillename.deb
    where instead of (directory) you just use the name of the folder you've got it downloaded into, in my case it would be

cd Downloads
    sudo dpkg -i virtualbox-4.1_4.1.2-73507~Ubuntu~natty_i386.deb
    Let it install.

Step Three: Set up virtual box, this is really easy, just follow the prompts. You do need a working version of Windows to install on the virtual box.

Step Four: Download Oracle VirtualBox Extensions that will open in your virtualbox windows.

Step Five: Open up Users & Groups > Manage Groups > VirtualBox > Properties. Check your username.
    Log on & off to make the change.

Step Six: Open up your virtualbox, navigate on the right side of the window to "USB" click the picture of the USB with the bluedot to add an empty filter (or usb spot).

Step Seven: Run windows, download Leapfrog Connect for windows, install as normal. You're going to need update Adobe Flash, but it'll prompt you to do that.

And it should be working!!!

I really hope I didn't miss anything. Our computer is officially free from the shackles of the Windows OS!

Leapfrog Tag is a great product, my 3 year old just LOVES his to bits, and "reads" to his little brother every night. Be aware, when you sign up, they ask for the parents first & last name, and then ask for your kids first name. Now they have your kids full name & they give you information about how they are "learning" on their tag.

Beans

Re: Leap Frog Connect

Sorry, but **NOT** solved here. Yes, you can install the Connect software under VirtualBox, but that doesn't mean it will work. Have been trying for ****HOURS***** to do an update with this P.o.S. software, and the best you can get from it is to spend the next half hour flipping between "updating" and "uploaing"; the only reason it doesn't go further than that is that's when you shut the crappy application down. Then you spend the next hour planning a road-trip to LeapFrog HQ to smack a few people.

The only consolation, I guess, is that regular Windows-only users can't get the application to work either... LeapFrog's support forums used to be FILLED ith users complaining about the p**s-poor quality of the softare. LeapFrog addressed the complaints by *shutting down the forums*!!!