Thread: Ubuntu Software Centre direct install on USB

Beans

Ubuntu Software Centre direct install on USB

Can I get Ubuntu Software Centre to install directly onto my usb? if so, how? this would be fantastic because I only have 50mb of hdd on Ubuntu left, but I have a 8gb usb which i can use for storing programs/games if Ubuntu Software Centre could install them onto there for me.
    thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Software Centre direct install on USB

Sort of but I wouldn't advise it.

Can you not transfer some of your data in your home directory to the usb drive?

What size is the partition Ubuntu is installed on? You'll need to free up some space anyway.

Beans

I only have 7gb Ubuntu because I dont have that much room on my computer, even in windows (which I regret ever using...). I have tried to find any data I dont think I need and moved those or deleted those, I have also tried removing unwanted programs with almost no luck

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Open up synaptic and click on 'installed' and see if there is anything there that you can remove that you never use to free up disk space. You could even uninstall software centre itself. Also, have a look how much junk is in your browser cache, that can often reclaim 100's of megs of space. Installing things outside of your main system is inviting big problems.

Beans

that cleared 16mb, better then nothing tho (clearing cache, history etc.)