Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a text copying script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Help with a text copying script

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Maybe it's a permission issue and your file manager tries to execute the files instead of opening them.
    Ok..well that does it if I give it the option to ask whether to display or execute. I had it set to run execs when clicked. I choose display and it opens right up. I'll just keep that option in Nautilus. Thank you ever so....
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool! I'd remove the execute permissions, not sure if you can do it recursively via the GUI, in CLI you can try:
    Code:
    find path/to/dir -name \*.txt -type f -exec chmod -x '{}' +
    where path/to/dir is the actual path to the directory.

Beans
    Distro

Cool! I'd remove the execute permissions, not sure if you can do it recursively via the GUI, in CLI you can try:
    Code:
    find path/to/dir -name \*.txt -type f -exec chmod -x '{}' +
    where path/to/dir is the actual path to the directory.
    Me=Idot...
    LOL Ok even better. I did that and removed the execute on the whole directory and they open as normal...now as to why that was changed?...who knows but it's fixed. Thanx...there are over 1000 files there..

Thanks again!
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Hidden!

NTFS partitions don't support Unix/Linux file permissions. The permissions are set at mount time for every file and directory.

How do you mount the partition? In fstab you can use the fmask/dmask mount options to cheange the permissions.

If you want to preserv the permissions and ownership of your backups, then backup them in a tar archive.

Beans
    Distro

NTFS partitions don't support Unix/Linux file permissions. The permissions are set at mount time for every file and directory.

How do you mount the partition? In fstab you can use the fmask/dmask mount options to cheange the permissions.

If you want to preserv the permissions and ownership of your backups, then backup them in a tar archive.
    Ok...right I just copied the file over before the re-install. Thanks for the info for future reference. At least I know HOW it happened now..

Beans
    Hidden!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12