Thread: Ubuntu Version for Asus 1011PX netbook

Beans

Ubuntu Version for Asus 1011PX netbook

Hi All,

Sorry if i am not posting on the right Forum..

I have bought a Asus Netbook 1011PX in India through Netnlap.

It has a version of Asus Express Gate which is linux base.

However, I would like to go for Ubuntu flavour.

Kindly Help me if there are any Asus 1011PX compatible netbook OS released or available anywhere..

thanks in Advance

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Version for Asus 1011PX netbook

Ubuntu no longer provides a netbook edition. Since version 11.04 you use the normal desktop edition with the Unity interface which is suitable for netbooks. KDE4 also offers a netbook style alternative desktop so you can also look at Kubuntu.

http://ubunturelease.hnsdc.com/11.04/
    ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64.iso 64-bit
    ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso 32-bit

http://ubunturelease.hnsdc.com/kubuntu/11.04/
    kubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64.iso 64-bit
    kubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso 32-bit

Your netbook has a 64-bit CPU but you can also use the 32-bit version if you want.

That server I listed is located in India btw.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You'll probably also need Eee-Control, for hardware control and especially CPU throttling (which will work automatically once it's installed.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

eeecontrol is junk these days as the improvements to the kernel's support for the atom platform have undercut it's usefulness. A more useful project for extending battery life at this point is the jupiter applet which is being developed by Fuduntu who publishes a distro under the same name.

Honestly I think the best netbook-specific distro is still 10.4's netbook edition.

Aurora has been threatening to release the successor to enormously popular eeebuntu, but I've given up on waiting.

Your eeepc is probably capable of running stock 11.04 with unity which is very similar to the netbook 10.04 interface . I'm not a fan of unity but you may take to it.

Nor am I fan of KDE's netbook layout but, again you may like it.

Another option is pinguy OS (ubuntu-based) which offers a netbook specific spin that is pretty nice. You have to go to the pinguy OS forums to download the spin.

Crunchbang (xfce and openbox) are great choices as they are light on resources and employ hotkeys that pre-empt the need for much navigation on smaller screens.

Honestly, these days I just use standard gnome 2.x on my netbook. Mint Debian edition will give you a full gnome desktop with a lower footprint in terms of resources. Xubuntu is nice too especially with the improvements to xfce 4.8.

This forum is a great resource for eeepc users although it has slowed down a bit recently:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

eeecontrol is junk these days as the improvements to the kernel's support for the atom platform have undercut it's usefulness. A more useful project for extending battery life at this point is the jupiter applet which is being developed by Fuduntu who publishes a distro under the same name.
    I need it under 11.04 on my Eee S101. Fan was going nuts until I installed it. That doesn't mean Jupiter wouldn't do just as well, of course.

Beans

Thank you for your quick responses. I will try out and get back in case questions.

Its awesome community support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi

I have just installed Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit on my new Eeepc 1011PX. All works well except it seems to have only one speaker (left) and no Bluetooth. Same problems with Pre-installed Windows7 so perhaps its a hardware problem or perhaps I have the specs wrong.

All the function buttons seem to work, including suspend to RAM on FN F1.

I did a dual boot by erasing the D: partition (the large empty one) and then using the "install alongside existing OS" option.

Post back if you have any sound or bluetooth issues.

Roger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roger_1960 View Post
    Hi

I have just installed Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit on my new Eeepc 1011PX. All works well except it seems to have only one speaker (left) and no Bluetooth. Same problems with Pre-installed Windows7 so perhaps its a hardware problem or perhaps I have the specs wrong.

I seem to have the same problem - can't figure out how to resolve it. Did you get to the bottom of it in the end?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed 11.10 on my netbook and my internet doesn't work. I haven't tested the wireless though. Also i do not get an install button to appear for the Software center and I really don't like Unity at all and would rather switch back to gnome. however until I get these issues resolved that's ain't happening.
    ---
    OS Name: Windows 7/ MB: Gigabyte / CPU: Intel Quad Core 2.40 Ghz / Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS