View Poll Results: Do you want more subfora for the Edgy Eft Development Forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I was happy with the Dapper Drake Development Forum structure

12 20.00%
  • Yes, I want more subforums, let's say 2 or 3

36 60.00%
  • Yes, I want more subforums, more like 5+

12 20.00%

Thread: Edgy Eft Development Release: Subforums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Edgy Eft Development Release: Subforums

Dapper Drake will be released soon, something I and we as a community are excited about.

For me and lots of other users this will mean that we can abandon our dapper drake installation and start playing with and thinking about Edgy Eft. The Edgy Eft Development Forum is our home for the next few months.

I would really love to see that the Edgy Eft Development Forum will have subfora.

Considering the amount of new technologies that we will try to incorporate in Edgy, I am expecting a lot of forum posts about a very wide spectrum of technologies. Hardware support, INITNG, XGL, Beagle, etc, etc. It was very hard to keep up with all the posts in the dapper forum. Subfora would make this a lot easier.

It will help us focus, reduce the amount of time searching for interesting things, bring people together with the same interest, It wil be efficient.

Personally I would like to see as much subfora as the new Dapper Forums will have, plus a forum + subfora for every major new technologie like XGl, beagle, init-ng etc.

I am very interested in what the rest of the community thinks about this. So please share your opinion with us.
    Last edited by Peturrr; May 29th, 2006 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: Edgy Eft Development Release: Subforums

Interesting, I came up with a similar idea.

I agree, match sub fora with sub fora on the Live forum once Dapper is released.

If there are a plethora of posts on one hardware aspect, e.g. wifi then make that a separate forum.

The big problem is the rate of growth of new pages, as I don't think people go more than two-three pages back.
    Ubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Ubuntu 5.10 / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu Edgy Alpha / VM 128 10
    Get SeaMonkey
    Registered Linux User No: 416960

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I believe there will be a subforum, but after dapper drake is released.
    Then, as administrators said, will also be a Edubuntu subforum, etc
    Just wait

Beans

The development sections will be 1 category but we will utilize tags for them in the future.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek
    we will utilize tags for them in the future.
    Great, tags for differentiating between GNOME and KDE desktop stuff would be very convenient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The development sections will be 1 category but we will utilize tags for them in the future.
    This doesn't solve the bigger problem: People are not likely to wade to more than 2 pages. It is just not efficiënt.

Could you please explain a bit more about this decision? What are the arguments for keeping it at one category?

Beans

The development areas were never ment to be a full blown category like a final release category is. The tagging system will work much like the one we are going to use on the new dapper system and like we use on the Gaming and Howto sections.

Searching via tags is simple you can try it out now just goto the search/advanced search and look at the thread tags http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The development areas were never ment to be a full blown category like a final release category is.
    But they have grown so much that that would actually be very useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Is there anyway in our profiles we can turn the tags off from time to time. I think they do a great job on the main forums.

Number codes work better when wading thru hundreds of posts, they jar less. Just a thought.
    Ubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Ubuntu 5.10 / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu Edgy Alpha / VM 128 10
    Get SeaMonkey
    Registered Linux User No: 416960