Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: firmware-b43-installer error!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: firmware-b43-installer error!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi coffeecat, this is a card that I have only started to see recently and it has been problematic for me to get working, where as most broadcom cards are not.
    That's an interesting observation. As you can see from my earlier posts I've had hands-on experience with two machines with this card and it worked fine. However, like you I've seen threads where people with it are having problems. Perhaps I was just lucky with those two machines. I'll be intrigued to see what the OP reports from trying the live session.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I booted up my system from the cd and ran a live session. During the live session I could see all the wireless networks available and could even connect to my wireless networks.

Also, now the only problem that remains is of connecting to the wireless router without the live cd session. I've configured the router to connect to the internet automatically.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by divyansh.sachdeva View Post
    I booted up my system from the cd and ran a live session. During the live session I could see all the wireless networks available and could even connect to my wireless networks.
    That is good news. It means that the bcm4313 card will work with the default brcm80211 driver. What you need to do is to get your permanent installation back to its default state with regard to the wireless. There are two things to consider. You had obviously installed the STA driver, but what I'm puzzled by is why you were having problems with it. On my HP netbook, the STA driver works just as well as, if not slightly better than, the default brcm80211 driver. Did you install the bcmwl-kernel-source package with Software Centre or Synaptic or did you use the Additional Drivers Utility? Or did you install it some other way?

The other thing which might be a problem is the attempt to install firmware-b43-installer. I'm not clear whether that has sorted itself out, or whether your package manager is in an inconsistent state and needs fixing, but you'll soon find out.

This is what I suggest you do:

1 - Open the Additional Drivers utility and see if it is telling you that the STA driver is enabled. If so, disable it and reboot. It's unlikely that the wireless card will be working yet because there are one or two steps to go through. If Additional Drivers was not telling you anything coherent, open Synaptic, search for bcmwl-kernel-source, mark for complete removal and "apply". Reboot. If Synaptic is telling you that bcml-kernel-source is not already installed (and Additional Drivers wasn't helping) stop there and post back with the answers to my questions above.

2 - If you've got this far, you need to check some of the files in /etc/modprobe.d to make sure brcm80211 is not still blacklisted. In the commands that follow you will be opening system files in a text editor with root privileges. Take care! Open a terminal, and:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf
    If a blank file opens, simply close it without saving anything. If the file contains this line:

Code:
    blacklist brcm80211
    "Comment" it so that it looks like this:

Code:
    #blacklist brcm80211
    Save and close it. If the "blacklist brcm80211" line is not present, simply close the file. Now:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-brcm80211.conf
    This is the file you were recommended to create in your previous thread. That will probably contain a single line "blacklist brcm80211". If so, simply comment it as before with a # at the beginning of the line, save the file and close it.

Lastly, it would be a good idea to check all the other files in /etc/modprobe.d to make sure none of them have the line "blacklist brcm80211". Browse to /etc/modprobe.d in a nautilus file browser window and double-click on each to open it in a read-only text editor window. Check that there are no "blacklist brcm80211" lines.

Now, in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo modprobe brcm80211
    Does the wireless now work? Whether it does or not, reboot. Don't do the modprobe command, but check the wireless. Does it work?

Lastly, let's see if the package manager is inconsistent. From a terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    You will get output, but are there any errors?

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I opened my additional drivers and disabled the STA drivers. Secondly, I got bcmwl-kernel-source package from the terminal window and also used the Synaptics. I've now removed this package using Synaptics(marked for complete removal). Finally, I commented the blacklisted brcm80211.
    Reeboot... And, whoa... The wireless is up and running!!!

Thanks a ton people!!! Special thanks to coffeecat.

One last thing... Ubuntu is showing that I have some updates available. Should I update them or not? I'm kindda worried that I'll mess up my wireless again. Please suggest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's very good news, but does the wireless survive a second reboot?

I've updated my Natty system on the machine with the same wireless chipset - so far without problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Good luck!

Beans

So far it does!!!

Please advice about the updates!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by divyansh.sachdeva View Post
    So far it does!!!

Please advice about the updates!
    I'm 99.9% confident they'll be fine. However, if you're prepared to wait a little, I'll update one of my Natty systems on the HP netbook. I have two Natty systems there - one on its own partition using the STA driver and a wubi installation using the brcm80211 driver that you are now using. (Long story - don't ask! )

It's about time I updated the wubi one. I shall do so forthwith and let you know.

Beans

Thanks a lot! But I think I'll take my chances! Whats life without a little risk!
    And thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it.
    God Bless!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My system - and wireless - has survived an update and reboot.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi coffecat, I see you got it working before I was able to get back.

I suspected that card would work with the livecd but I could not be sure of that.

In natty a lot of the broadcom cards do not work right away with the sta driver, they usually work easily with the b43 but not all so sometimes it take a little experimenting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12