Thread: Is it possible to update older Ubuntu versions?

Beans

Is it possible to update older Ubuntu versions?

At the time that 11.04 is the latest version, I need to install 8.04 because I'm working with microcontroller IDE's and toolchains that only support legacy versions. My question:

When I go to update the repositories and binaries, I get error messages. Is it still possible to upgrade my Ubuntu 8.04 up to the last packages before support was dropped?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by chiques; September 11th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
    CPU:AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52*slot: Socket S1,1600MHz*RAM: DIMM DDR2 667 MHz X 2 1GB*HDISK: Western Digital ATA Disk (320GB)*video: nVidia Geforce Go 6150 clock: 66MHz*wifi: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311
    eth0: nVidia MCP51

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it possible to update older Ubuntu versions?

Just edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of archive.ubuntu.com (may be slightly different in your case) with old-releases.ubuntu.com
    Cheesemill

Beans

Re: Is it possible to update older Ubuntu versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Just edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all instances of archive.ubuntu.com (may be slightly different in your case) with old-releases.ubuntu.com
    That worked great for my standard repositories.

I still get errors with the security repositories though

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security man restriced
    CPU:AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52*slot: Socket S1,1600MHz*RAM: DIMM DDR2 667 MHz X 2 1GB*HDISK: Western Digital ATA Disk (320GB)*video: nVidia Geforce Go 6150 clock: 66MHz*wifi: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311
    eth0: nVidia MCP51