Thread: dual core processor

Beans

dual core processor

I have tried searching and cant find anything but I'm having problems with my atom n550 processor not scaling right. I'm running 11.10 beta but cant find anything saying that its a problem in the beta or not. if I boot with out the AC adapter only 1 of the the CPU cores is detected. I think the hyper threading or whatever it called isn't detected either. if I go to system monitor it only shows cpu1 and if I boot up with it plugged in it shows cpu1,cpu2,cpu3,cpu4 and runs way faster. If I add acpi=off to the grub menu it does the same thing so not sure if something is wrong with acpi or not.

Beans

dual core processor

I have tried searching and cant find anything but I'm having problems with my atom n550 processor not scaling right. I'm running 11.10 beta but cant find anything saying that its a problem in the beta or not. if I boot with out the AC adapter only 1 of the the CPU cores is detected. I think the hyper threading or whatever it called isn't detected either. if I go to system monitor it only shows cpu1 and if I boot up with it plugged in it shows cpu1,cpu2,cpu3,cpu4 and runs way faster. If I add acpi=off to the grub menu it does the same thing so not sure if something is wrong with acpi or not.

Beans

Re: dual core processor

Quote Originally Posted by ray420 View Post
    Check your BIOS. Hyperthreading is software transparent as it's a hardware feature. Even software that "doesn't support it" will see multiple threads as long is the OS is SMP enabled. I know this because Windows 2000 Pro apparently didn't support Hyperthreading but it still saw (and used) the two threads. It even showed so in the Task Manager.
    "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

does acpi=force do anything?
    *Is taking a shot in the dark*
    this may be useful
    Code:
    acpi=        [HW,ACPI,X86]
                    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
                     Format: { force | off | strict | noirq | rsdt }
                     force -- enable ACPI if default was off
                     off -- disable ACPI if default was on
                     noirq -- do not use ACPI for IRQ routing
                     strict -- Be less tolerant of platforms that are not
                         strictly ACPI specification compliant.
                     rsdt -- prefer RSDT over (default) XSDT
                     copy_dsdt -- copy DSDT to memory
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; September 10th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@ ray420
    I just merged your two threads, so you do not get others responding with similar answers in your other thread.
    Please do not post duplicate threads.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

sorry didn't realize I posted twice had problems with internet

Beans

acpi=force didnt work sometimes if i boot up without ac adapter and i plug it in after its started the x-windows fails and i get a black screen with a bunch of different messages and the computer locks up but if i start up with the ac adapter plugged in it wont do that. it did that before i ugraded to the beta build. just didnt notice the cpu problem then

Beans

I just found out if I plug,in my charger and hit a alt,ctrl,backspace and log back in with chrager pluged in my processor works fine

Beans

How does cpufreqd interact with acpi would that cause my problem? Can I simply do a complete uninstall of cpufreqd and revert back to before I installed it or does it edit some system files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Moved to Ubuntu +1 (Oneiric Ocelot)