Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Scroll function from Touchpad

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry No Scroll function from Touchpad

PART 1:
    I have an HP Pavilion dm1 on which I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04. Most things went really smoothly, except now I have no scroll function from the touch-pad.

In an old thread (#1467503) I found reports of similar problems (in version 10.04), and a "workaround" that did not work for me.

Since I just encountered this problem, I have not been following it. However, a little research shows that it is still around, still frustrating a bunch of people, still periodically posted about on various forums (this is apparently not unique to Ubuntu), and still, no one has found a [good] fix (or if they have, I haven't been able to find it).

All my touch-pad functions work fine under Windows, but I don't want to run Windows--I'm in Love with [Ubuntu] Linux.

Is anyone else [still] having this problem? Does anyone know if there's been any more research done on it, or any attempt to fix it within the OS? Are there any newer or better workarounds or patches anyone knows of? Not having a scroll feature on the touch-pad makes things kind of clunky, so I really want to get this to work right. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PART 2:
    Is this really such a mystery? This is an OLD problem (and a real pain in the ...).This question has showed up countless times, in countless forums, starting as early as 2005!

If a proper fix cannot be found and published, or incorporated into the kernel REAL SOON, maybe Ubuntu should post a WARNING that "Some pointing devices cannot be made to work properly under this OS". More appropriately, the manufacturers of the offending pointing devices should be required to post a warning. I have an 'ALPS GlidePoint', but I've seen others mentioned.

IN CONCLUSION:
    This is beginning to seem ridiculous. 2005 folks; not 6 or 8 months ago, but 6 YEARS ago... and it clearly affects a lot of people. Screw the other OSs, can't we get this item fixed, once and for all, at least in our Beloved Ubuntu?

Developers, please make this one a priority. I'm sure a ton of users will thank you.
    Time Traveler Bili Joe
    "Acknowledged mistakes are the fastest path to learning." Bruce Eckel
    "Success is simply getting up one more time than you are knocked down."
    Save endless headaches! Use .iso file and Install CD validation tools!

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: No Scroll function from Touchpad

OK, no response at all... Am I posting in the wrong forum? Am I really the only one who is still having these problems?

So none of you hot shots out there want to have a crack at this one huh? Well4 I guess I'll have to fix this one myself. I can do it, I'm just a bit out of practice. I used to run UNIX shop where we did system-recovery/data-discovery software for several [friendly] governments and their Intelligence, Security, and Military components. So, it'll take me a while to get back in the saddle, but I WILL crack this nut... the right way... one that works at the "correct" point, and works for all cases... not just HP 110s, some obscure ACER.

So, the BIG question is this: When I find out how to make all ALPS touchpad devices work correctly on everybody"s hardware, is there anybody out there who wants to know about it? I see posts on this exact subject pretty regularly, which would lead me to believe that it is still a current issue, of some priority, to quite a few people. But when I post about it, the post lays thee like a dead fish. So, is there any interest out there on this topic, or not?

I'll solve this problem, for my own reasons anyway. But it is not an entirely trivial task to document and explain what you've found and done, in a way that can be understood and utilized by everyone. So, when I get this cracked, do I go to the trouble of writing and posting a tutorial, or "How To" on the subject. Let me know. I'll [almost] certainly publish what I find, sooner or later, somewhere, just because I don't believe in hoarding information. I just need to know if this is a place where there's enough interest that I should post first and look for feedback here, or if I should be on some platform's blog (Sony, Acer, HP, etc.).

Let me know. I'm to the point where I'm pretty sure there are drivers and config utilities already out there that can, in combination, be used to make things work just peachy. All command line stuff, but stuff that anybody, or at least their kids, can understand, and use to make things work.

So if you want to hear more, or, especially, if you have any good info on the subject (like a map of numbers corresponding to the literal 'Property_' "values") please send it my way. I find that only about ten of the literals can be depended upon, and those get you the easy part... basic point and click touchpad functionality. To get scrolling, edge behavior, coasting, etc., you really need the numeric codes, Anybody got 'em.

I'll be checking back.
    Time Traveler Bili Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: No Scroll function from Touchpad

Well i have the same problem...
    And even after reading 2 evenings still no solution.

I may not be a pro on ubuntu, but i got my optimus video cards working!
    thanks to bumblebee! (from 60Fps to 600Fps!)
    (that could be a lot better made in the installation of the hardware in the ubuntu set-up)
    But scrolling seems impossible to solve.
    I does work on my Netbook, a MSI WIND

But i can't get it to work on my MSI X460DX, ubuntu 11.04 64bit
    Will try it on my an other notebook tomorrow,
    have a MSI X350 waiting for ubuntu
    And i will check on my friends laptops/netbooks too.
    (samsung netbook MSI X340 and MSI GX640 gaming laptop)

Strange that this is not solved in the installation.
    I also have no touchpad tab under apps>mouse.
    I will also check that on my other netbook/laptops.
    than at least there will be a sumary of several laptops.
    Hopefully it will help to work to a solution.
    Proud user of - Ubuntu desktop - Ubuntu Server - Backtrack
    - Preaching Ubuntu since 2006 -
    Long time user of Enigma & Enigma2
    <<Ubuntu user 33417>>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Re: No Scroll function from Touchpad

Well i checked my MSI wind, it does have the touchpad tab in the mouse settings gui.
    And everything works oke.

Time for bed now, will come back with more results soon.
    Now using a wireless mouse, since the damn mouse pad doesn't scroll!

Proud user of - Ubuntu desktop - Ubuntu Server - Backtrack
    - Preaching Ubuntu since 2006 -
    Long time user of Enigma & Enigma2
    <<Ubuntu user 33417>>

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: No Scroll function from Touchpad

I'm making some progress towards what I think will be a "real" fix for this, but still have a ways to go--more research, etc. Keep checking every few days. when I get a confirmed, solid fix, I'll post it here.
    Time Traveler Bili Joe

Beans

Re: No Scroll function from Touchpad

Good!
    Because I have the same problem, and didn't get any help:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1852607

As old as the problem is, it's shocking that there hasn't been a real fix yet!

Beans

If you are complaining about scroll function, you have the damnpad working a lot better than a lot of us...

I have an ALPS Glidepoint and am more concerned with how it doesn't work, randomly clicks at odd moments, and interferes with typing. I use a hotkey to turn it off, but it keeps turning itself back on.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: No Scroll function from Touchpad

Quote Originally Posted by josiahkeller View Post
    Good!
    Because I have the same problem, and didn't get any help:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1852607

As old as the problem is, it's shocking that there hasn't been a real fix yet!
    I agree. Shocking! And tho what I think I am closing in on as a fix is certainly not trivial, it's not Rocket Science either. Seems as if someone who is familiar with the system should have had this one cracked YEARS ago. That's right, YEARS ago. That's how long this problem has been around, and all I've seen are a few hacks and work-arounds that work for this model or that--no real fix.

So, let's turn this into a real challenge! Let's see if anyone of the many, many people out there who have a current understanding of the inner workings of Ubuntu/Linux can come up with a fix for this any sooner than can a worn-out, 6-years retired old hack. You want popcorn for an incentive? Or just the Love, Respect and Admiration of [probably] thousands of Ubuntu users? =D> Or is there no one [else] out there who is up to this challenge? It seems some of the other distros have a better handle on this than does Ubuntu. If Ubuntu's the best, how can that be?

So, let's have it. Any of you young bucks ready to go for the gold on this one, or are you goiong to just roll over and let this old has-been show you up
    ?The clock is ticking!
    Time Traveler Bili Joe

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: No Scroll function from Touchpad

OK, again I see I haven't hit any nerves amongst the 'can-do's out there. (I'm pretty sure they're out there.)

So, if I can't shame anybody into tackling this, how about a bribe, 'er... prize? (Note: shame is almost never a good first shot, but since the problem is closing in on being 6 years old, it just seemed appropriate, this time.)

Here's the "deal"; the 'Bait'. I will award one, collectible quality*, display-worthy*, Tandy(R) "luggable`" Personal Computer to whoever provides the first (determined by posting date, email delivery date, or postmark) "real" fix for this "ALPS" problem.

OK, time for some definitions, and disclaimers
    :

"Collectible quality", and "display-worthy" are relative terms. What I see as potential museum-quality, you may see as junk. Therefore, there is no guarantee of satisfaction with regards to the perceived value of the "prize".

The Winner pays shipping; or they may opt to pick it up, depending on where they live.

"'real' fix": In this context, the term "real fix" refers to a remedy for ALL the problems with ALPS scrollpads (ya' know they gotta be related--find one...), that have been reported by Ubuntu users. This remedy can take any of the following forms: 1) a set of accurate instructions for editing such things as '.conf' files, and all other steps which, when taken, will result in "normal, full featured functionality" of the touchpad device on the user's (any given user's) system; 2) any down-loadable package that can be run or installed by the [average] user which, once run or installed, will provide "normal, full featured functionality" of the touchpad device on the user's (any given user's) system, OR which will provide tools/utilities/etc. which can be used to configure the device so as to achieve the same result; 3) information and/or code, sent to the developers that results in the next release being free of this frustrating problem. Essentially, a "real fix" is anything that follows good programming practices, and will work for everybody who has the problem.

NOTE: This "offer" is, of course NOT associated with anybody, or any "thing" (except for myself ). It is a whimsical attempt at getting resolved an old and annoying problem (for some of us, but not so few that we should be ignored), and so carries no type of warranty, guarantee, assurance, promise of great wealth, or any other such hogwash. I am sincere about offering the prize (incentive) however. I'm sure it has no real value, but it is cool! I do have it available. With a little TLC, it may, or may not work. I have no software for it. It might make a nice base for a desk lamp.

All that said. won't somebody, please, jump in on this one. I've done enough programming to know that, someone with the right understanding of things like hardware abstraction layers, and device drivers, etc., could lick this in a day--two at the most. And think how good it'd be for your Karma!

Anyway, I'm going to keep plugging along, at my snail's pace (I have a lot to learn, to catch up), until I crack this nut, or until somebody beats me to it.
    Time Traveler Bili Joe

Beans

I'm guessing that you have executed the command
    Code:
    echo options psmouse proto=exps > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe
    which outputs "options psmouse proto=exps" in psmouse.modprobe.
    I'm not 100% on what this does, but I'm guessing it tells the kernel that you are using an intellimouse explorer.
    I had a similar problem. The solution was simply to enter an editor with sudo, open the file and remove the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast