Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Release Ubuntu

Beans

Post Rolling Release Ubuntu

I really like the "rolling release" ideal, the install once and done. I am interested in starting a project that turns ubuntu into a rolling release distribution, yes I know you can "upgrade Ubuntu" but I'd prefer an automatically updated Ubuntu. (with updates coming from the alpha/beta of the next release. (with stability a top priority). I Know I would have to set up a server and Repository to Install the updated packages automatically with the update manager. Let me know if there is interest in this Idea. I'd love a rolling Ubuntu. The features of ubuntu, but always up to date. (I think an Ubuntu logo built to resemble the Arch logo would be sweet)
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Re: Rolling Release Ubuntu

Not to rain on your parade but what you are proposing would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Have a look at how the ubuntu releases are developed and think about it again.

You would be better off doing a distro based on debian testing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Not to rain on your parade but what you are proposing would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Have a look at how the ubuntu releases are developed and think about it again.

You would be better off doing a distro based on debian testing.
    ++

You could look into Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is based on Debian Testing, and they are trying to make it as easy to use as Ubuntu. I don't think they are there yet, but it is coming along pretty good.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    ++

You could look into Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is based on Debian Testing, and they are trying to make it as easy to use as Ubuntu. I don't think they are there yet, but it is coming along pretty good.
    I know! I use LMDE , i just miss some of ubuntus feAtures
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

I saw some video footage of a one of the Ubuntu big wigs speaking at a meeting of Ubuntu big wigs sometime inside of the last couple of years. (Yes I surely do wish I had of bookmarked it!) & he was talking about the possibility of Ubuntu adopting a rolling release upgrade system.

So from what I saw, I can say that the powers that be have/are looking at the pro's & con's of a rolling release Ubuntu.

Whether it ever materialises or not time will tell.

If it does, I expect that there will be various ways to maintain the different primary clients:- Server systems & those that require LTS would just choose to enable the appropriate repositories, as opposed to those that want to use more recent packages...

Beans

Ok, so if I can't have a rolling realse Ubuntu (yet) What repos can I add to have the latest kernel, Xorg/wayland(eventually) and Gnome 3 etc. From the 11.10 Alpha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade to 11.10 rather than just adding some repositories? I guess you could avoid a lot of dependency problems if you completely switch to 11.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade to 11.10 rather than just adding some repositories? I guess you could avoid a lot of dependency problems if you completely switch to 11.10.
    Anyway to do this from 11.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans

You can also easily upgrade your kernel & other packages beyond Ubuntu "stable", have a look at the Ubuntu stuff: section of the OP in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1238129

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast