Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NetFlix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

NetFlix?

Can NetFlix be made to work on Ubuntu 11.04? I really don't like having to boot into Win7 every time I want to use it.

Beans

Re: NetFlix?

Quote Originally Posted by Number3124 View Post
    Can NetFlix be made to work on Ubuntu 11.04? I really don't like having to boot into Win7 every time I want to use it.

as far as i know they still dont supoprt linux see here http://liliputing.com/2011/08/netfli...n-the-way.html

there are also countless threads on this forum on the topic.

You can use a virtual machine to run windows if you need it,
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Interesting article. Is there anyway to add the DRM from Silverlight to Moonlight? That seem as though it would solve to problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Number3124 View Post
    Can NetFlix be made to work on Ubuntu 11.04?
    I don't know, but if you're interested in trying an alternative, Amazon's streaming videos work perfectly on Linux.
    I really don't like having to boot into Win7 every time I want to use it.
    That's not an option for me--this is a ******* free household--so I canceled my NetFlix subscription within minutes of starting its free trial, just as soon as I realized it doesn't work on Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old *ix Geek View Post
    I don't know, but if you're interested in trying an alternative, Amazon's streaming videos work perfectly on Linux.
    That's not an option for me--this is a ******* free household--so I canceled my NetFlix subscription within minutes of starting its free trial, just as soon as I realized it doesn't work on Linux.
    I totally agree with the above comment why should have to install windows in a virtual box, it seem like alot of work and you have to have a windows installation CD and those aren't cheap.

I paying for a service from Netflix, I shouldn't have adjust to meet their needs it should be the other way around

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Netflix will not work on Linux unless they decided to allow for DRM to be placed in moonlight or if they change to HTML5..this is old news and has been discussed and petioned to death.

imho netflix isn't as good as it once was anyway with raising their prices and losing stars...better to just get Amazon prime and utilize their streaming video selection, at least you can watch it on Linux w/o issue.
    Last edited by Ms_Angel_D; September 19th, 2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: typos

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans

@Old *ix Geek,Ms_Angel_D or anybody what's the selection of amazon prime All-you-can-watch streaming videos looking like is it a pretty large database?
    Last edited by loekanle; September 19th, 2011 at 02:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Im curious as to why someone hasnt figured out how to hack the Android Netflix app to work on normal linux distros.

Anyway, netflix is on the decline imo
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by loekanle View Post
    @Old *ix Geek,Ms_Angel_D or anybody what's the selection of amazon prime All-you-can-watch streaming videos looking like is it a pretty large database?
    That have a pretty good selection The hubby and I are always finding something good to watch. Well worth the $79.00 a year imo.

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by loekanle View Post
    They have a lot of movies and TV shows.

I came to Amazon's streaming videos in a rather roundabout manner: I signed up for Amazon Prime so I could get 'free' two-day shipping (I order from them a lot!), then later found out that Prime includes unlimited access to thousands of videos. I think they claim to have something like 9,000 videos, so quite a bit to choose from. I'm very pleased with it, especially since it respects my choice of operating systems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast